• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bulk aging

Barrel Char Wood Products

jesse2205

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 7, 2006
I plan on bulk aging JAO in a 5 gallon carboy instead of bottling it. I was wondering if it was possible to ocassionally siphon out JAO without disturbing the quality of the batch. Is this possible?

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
It's best if you have CO2 to blanket the carboy with so you don't oxidize your batch. Better still would be to keg it with CO2 delivery. Another option would be to pick up a 3 gallon Carboy, and bottle the other 2 gallons in your preferred beer or wine bottles for sampling.

Wrathwilde

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
About a year ago now I invested in a refurbished CO2 tank.

I took a solid stopper that fit the carboy and drilled two holes in the stopper - one for CO2 in and one for the mead to exit. It's a simple setup with plastic tubing to put a few pounds of pressure into the carboy and push the mead out into a glass for sampling. It has worked great, and keeps a protective blanket of CO2 on the aging mead.

One note of caution. This method has resulted in more than one batch of JAO to never make it into the bottles. (I think my cellar rats have fitured out how to run the setup... ;D)

I am actually going to start kegging for bulk aging in Corney Kegs. It's easier than messing with the drilled stopper.

David

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Is it better to bulk age with solid stopper or should I use an airlock just in case? There has been no activity with this batch for months and I was planning on moving it out of the closet and into the cellar where it is a lot cooler.
Tarot.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Muirghein Tarot said:
Is it better to bulk age with solid stopper or should I use an airlock just in case?

If you haven't purchased a finishing hydrometer... do so, a std. hydrometer isn't accurate enough to tell in some cases! With a finishing hydrometer check your readings a couple of times a month, when the gravity is stable over a period of two months I'd rack off any sediment/Yeast and then bulk age with a solid stopper.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I generally keep my bulk aging stuff under an airlock, even when it's for a couple of years. Keep in mind that with the shifts in temperature and barometric pressure that solid bung can loosen or even blow with some radical shifts in atmospheric pressure. During this summer heat I really keep an eye on the airlocks for any activity, and make sure that they are kept to the little fill line.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar said:
Keep in mind that with the shifts in temperature and barometric pressure that solid bung can loosen or even blow with some radical shifts in atmospheric pressure.

Looks like I might have to start using my Kegs. Hadn't gotten around to it yet, I had a bung blow out just last week, I thought fermentation had been ticking away imperceptibly, though I was fairly certain it was stable. Didn't realize that just shifts in barometric pressure could blow a stopper. Now I know, and will be transferring my bulk aging to kegs, since I have six empty ones waiting to be put to good use. Need to get my CO2 tank filled first.

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns