• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Blackberry puree aditive question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Little Mick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2006
Honey heads,
This is my first post on these boards but I have been a long time lurker. I'll keep it short like a new guy should.

I started out with two five-gallon batches of mead, 3 pounds honey = 1 gal. water. After primary fermentation I decided to experiment and create a blackberry melomel. My buddy (who has made good mead) advised me to purchase Oregon Fruit Products: Seedless fruit puree in 49 oz cans. He then advised me to just dump both cans into the must during the initial rack to secondary fermentation.

Do you see anything fatally flawed with this?

Thanks for your time,
Little Mick

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome Little Mick,

A previous post had some opinions on using Oregon Fruit Puree. The one I used in the primary did not have the most powerful peach flavor, so I actually racked onto whole peach pieces in the secondary. This seems to be the common oppinion amongst those who have used these cans.

Dumping the two cans into the secondary and racking onto them should not cause any problems. Give it a go and post the results up in the Brewlog. Are you thinking of using one can per 5 gallon batch, or using both cans in one 5 gallon batch and leaving the other as a straight Mead?

Angus

Little Mick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2006
Thanks for the calming words. I am leaving one batch as straight mead for failsafe reasons. Even if the blackberry turns out bad I'll still have five gal.

Now the puree has mostly separated and risen to the top so that should make for racking ease as I now have the melomel sitting in a food grade plastic tub with a spigot around an inch off the bottom. I just have to keep the puree and sediment out and I should be fine. I am now seriously thinking of racking onto real black berries.

Also I could not get that link to work.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns