• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question on modifying No Age Sweet Mead recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Recluse

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2006
Hi all,

I am planning a batch of the No Age Sweet Mead and a batch of JAO for my first attempts.

Planning ahead for a drier Mead, I was wondering if this same recipe could be used, but without the quick racking to the sorbate/bisulphite secondary to stop at a sweet mead. From what I have read on the forum, the K1V should go somewhat drier if given a chance (but maybe TOO dry). Would this work? Should it stay on Primary a bit longer or age longer in secondary without the addition of the stabilizers.

Thanks!

Recluse

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
You can taste it and decide if it's sweet/dry enough for you, and stabilize it when you like it. Or you can let it ferment completely (so it's totally dry), then add the stabilizers. After all the yeast is killed and settled out, you can rack it to your bottling bucket and (very gently) mix in honey water until you like the taste--aka backsweetening. More work, but this way you don't have to measure the gravity/taste test every day. I think part of the beauty of the 3-week mead is that it isn't very dry. I get the impression that drier means "must wait a longer time to drink".

One thing I might suggest, since I'm pretty new as well (3 batches mostly done now), is to follow the directions the first time. Stop it at 1.02 as in the directions, bottle, and taste it. Wait a month, taste it again. It might not be as sweet as you think it will be, and the flavors will evolve over time. My first mead was the 4 week cyser, and I was worried it would end up way too sweet (FG 1.016), but it's actually quite good and balanced. Then, for your next batch, you can let it go drier and see how that tastes. After many iterations, and much drinking, you'll have a really good handle on what tastes best to you--and a nice stockpile of mead to share with friends (or hoarde and drink yourself while bigger batches are aging >:D )

Good luck with your first batches and let us know how they turn out.
Aaron

Recluse

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping this would be the case.

Since the only commerical Mead I have tried is a Sweet Mead, which I like very much, I am tending toward looking for Sweet Mead recipes, hence the choice to start with the No Age Sweet, but as I also enjoy some 'dry' wines (at least DRY as compared to a Sweet Mead) I thought I owed it to myself to experiment.

Unfortunately, the only local supply store is open at erratic times, so I mailordered my supplies (excellent Free Shipping from morebeer.com) so I am waiting on it to begin my adventures in Mead rather than jump the gun with totally improvised equipment.

I will definitely be posting the results of my endeavors!

Recluse

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns