• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead calculator help file

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
The Help button doesn't work for me. I am having a hard time understanding how to use this calculator and was wondering if someone has an offline version of the helpfile they can send me?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Rezzin,

Whaddya need to know. The calculator can be a bit daunting, but it's a great resource, and I must admit that I use it frequently.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'll talk to the programmer about the help file. I don't see it in my stuff, so I may not have gotten it, or it might have gotten lost somewhwere....

Vicky - running in about 20 different directions today

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
I'd like to know which fields I am to fill out in order to obtain X information. Using the Complete Meadmaker as a guide, I wanted to put together a recipe but was not sure how to determine my SG/brix using the calculator. I also wanted to see what my SG was for the JAO. I know it won't be exact, but I wanted to see if it came close.

In short, I was toying the calculator and not getting anywhere - and it was bugging me :confused2:

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Somewhere in here is a post with instructions from JamesP. I will find it, but for now, here is an overview:

1. Select whether you want Metric, US, or Imperial.
2. Select Check box for additional sugars, select the type of sugar and the amount.
3. Select Check Box for Target Volume and enter the batch size.
4. Hit the Calculate button.

This will give you the SG and potential ABV for the mead. If you want to change the sugars, or add ingredients, go ahead and then just click calculate to get the result.

If you want to know how much honey to add to get a specific SG:

1. Do not check any of the Additional Sugars boxes.
2. Check the Target Volume and enter the batch size.
3. Check the Target Gravity box, enter your target SG, and hit calculate. The Additional Sugars #1 will change to show you how much honey is needed.

Hope this helps for now.

Angus

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. This should hold me over for the time being. :cheers:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns