• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Great Lakes Mead Tasting: Fixing a Date

Barrel Char Wood Products

Which month is most convienient?

• March

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • April

• May

• June

• July

• Total voters

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I Must Regretfully Announce That
The Great Lakes Mead Tasting
Is Canceled!!!

After having messaged everybody who was initially interested in attending the mead tasting, approximately half claimed that because of other things cropping up they wouldn't be able to attend, the other half failed to respond at all. Which brings the total number of people who actually confirmed that they were going to attend to two, Myself and another brewer here in Dubuque. And since we don't need to travel to taste each others mead there's no point in us going.

Maybe we'll try again next year. But you people have got to be more committed, and be prepared to spring for a more luxurious hotel. It won't be held at Indian Oaks.

-Jered (Wrathwilde)

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
I an very interested in attending. I could bring some decent mead. However, I do spend as many weekends in May and June flyfishing as I possibly can.

The possible locations in N. Illinois, N. Indiana and Western Michigan are all workable for me. If it is not going to keep me from flyfishing, I have no fear of Chicago. I am urban beast, and I love that town. If there was a mead tasting near a respectable trout stream, though, you'd have to use elephants, large canine predators and probably some modern, large caliber weaponry to keep me away.

BTW, I can cook, too. And I run a pretty respectable smoker.

Ken

kash

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2006
Www.perverted-justice.com
ken schramm said:
I an very interested in attending. I could bring some decent mead. However, I do spend as many weekends in May and June flyfishing as I possibly can.

The possible locations in N. Illinois, N. Indiana and Western Michigan are all workable for me. If it is not going to keep me from flyfishing, I have no fear of Chicago. I am urban beast, and I love that town. If there was a mead tasting near a respectable trout stream, though, you'd have to use elephants, large canine predators and probably some modern, large caliber weaponry to keep me away.

BTW, I can cook, too. And I run a pretty respectable smoker.

Ken

Hey Ken,
I worked for awhile in NW Indiana and if you're looking for a close fix and like Steelhead, here's a tip, Salt Creek. It can't be 20 miles (give or take) from the place listed above. They'll take flys, of course, but I always had my best luck on spinners, there.

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
I would LOVE to get informed input on my meads even a constructive "I's Crap, try ....blah blah blah" Honestly there are a lot of alchahols i dont like so some of my batches could be good stuff and i wouldn't know it. Honesetly i don't drink enough things to even have a basis of comparison for anything other than cider.

I don't know what anyone is planning... but I could probably pony up some jewellery goodies for a peoples choice award.

ANYTHING to try more Meads...
Tsuchi

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I only have one complaint about your plans. You're making me jealous.

I'm either going to have to fly across the country, or miss what sounds like a great event.

Cheers
Jay

norsebill

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
My name is Bill. This is my first post and must say I like the info on the site is great. I am still a mead virgin. I am living in Manistee MI and am looking forward to making my first batch. I have been doing alot of reading on the site. You guys and ladies on the site are great and I look forward to getting to know ya. I would love to go down the gathering if I am able.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Welcome to GotMead NORSEBILL,
All Mead Makers Welcome!!! A suggestion for all those attending, bring the brewlog/recipes/brewnotes for the Meads you're sharing so we can get a feel for how they were brought about.

Tsuchi,

Thanks for the offer on creating a peoples choice award, but I'd like to keep it competition free... Just an informal gathering of Gotmead members, a chance to swap meads and make friends. I will probably make up some Waterproof Vinyl Stickers for everyone attending, something along the lines of "I Survived the First Great Lakes Mead Tasting" with a choice of appropriate OR inappropriate background images.

Wrathwilde

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
ken schramm said:
If there was a mead tasting near a respectable trout stream, though, you'd have to use elephants, large canine predators and probably some modern, large caliber weaponry to keep me away.

Ken

Hey Ken!

Steelhead are running in the Grand River right now. I see lots of guys out there most mornings right Downtown Grand Rapids.

Swing by with the fly rod some time and we'll take a flask of our finest to the river!

David

winethief

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2006
consider me a definite attendee whose social life is so pitiful that whenever you want to have this event suits me fine. i can come in march, april, may, june, july, tomorrow, next week, whenever.

Spacepup

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 21, 2006
I would like to attend as well. I'm just like Winethief in that I have no social life to speak of either. So this would be the event of the decade for me. I will have to start saveing as of this moment to attend as money is a big factor for me. I do have one problem though I would have to take a bus to the nearest bus terminal.(I am unable to drive a car at this time due to health issues) So as presumtuious (spelling?) as it sounds I would need someone to pick me up at the nearest bus station if possible. The only other problem I would have is, Well I don't have much in the way of mead. I probably could bring a bunch of JAO. But anything else would still be very green. As I have really just started this month with my first real batch. I was only thinking about it till I saw something about Ken being there and the words "Smoker". I absolutly love good smoked meats and BBQ. Plus it would be a hoot to meet a celebrity for once in my life. (OMG did I just use the word hoot?)

Another good incentive for me is meeting all of you guys and and Vicky (mabey if she decides to go) as well. One question from someone who has never taken any kind of vacation or trip since I was like 15, (almost 25 years ago) how much money would you say would be good to bring. not an exact figure but a ballpark amount. I was thinking $500.00. Would that cover everything from lodgeing to meals and so on not includeing transportation (I.E round trip bus ticket)?

How many days are we talking about being there? What kind of fun/events will there be that would have to have, for lack of a better word, a cover charge? I have a fair amount of questions but I think these that I have posted will sufice until we get closer to the event. Thank you for organizeing this and if I can do anything to help please let me know.

Good brews to all as always
Spacepup

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I'm thinking it would be a one day event, probably a Saturday, using the hotel as an overnight so we aren't driving home well and truly intoxicated. I will probably check in Friday so that I can meet and Greet everyone as they arrive Saturday. The fun and events are as follows... getting to know your fellow meadmakers and sampling their Meads.

The hotel might not appreciate a cookout in their parking lot however, as much as I'd like to take Ken up on his offer. My consolation is that there is a Gyros place very near by... and that's one of my top 5 favorite foods.

Of course if one of the hotels guests just happens to show up with a large grill and smoker and starts cooking... I for one will spring for some serious meat cuts and physically defend his right to cook, at least until mine's done. Be warned I take my meat rare, so if you're expecting me to defend any well done meats... I might too full, and busy enjoying a dessert mead.

As for expenses you'd probably be more than covered with $500, you might even be able to find someone willing to share the cost of a room. That's something you'd have to arrange though. I'm sure we could find a runner to pick you up, as long as it's not too far away, better get checking for the nearest greyhound station. Also where are you, you might be able to catch a ride with someone. Hope you can make it.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
It's true, as for rides james(my fella) and i will be comming down from london ontario and we will have room for two so if your on the way ish, and willing to split on gas and to squeeze into the back seats of our focus we will be gald to car pool. just give a shout as we get closer to the date.

Tsuchi

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I would suspect that some people will want to arrive on Friday, others on Saturday, and leave on Sunday (still others may be looking at arriving on Thursday night to have the Friday to fish!!). This will make it a full day with 2 evenings of entertainment.

Events with a cover charge...maybe the winery tour if people are interested. That's about it. Then food and lodging. I know some hotels are not keen on people cooking their own food, but this place looks like there may be some lakeside picnic areas where a smoker can be set up (avid smoker myself, so I will gladly help Ken smoke a 12 hour brisket).

As for meads to bring, bring what you have, or just show up. Not a necessity to bring a mead (although very welcome if you do). If you know of a small and little known meadery near you and want to bring some of their produce, I am sure that would be fine.

Angus

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I am pretty sure I would arrive on a Friday and then leave on Sunday. Especially with a 6 hour drive.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
My wife and I will also probably be in Friday evening and out on Sunday.

David

Might be worth asking if we could do the BBQ. I have a great source for meats. I buy direct from the farmer and pick it up nicely processed in vacuum pack and deep frozen. We usually buy 1/2 cow at a time.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Lord, I am *so* drooling to attend!

I just hope and pray it ends up being the second half of June, as that is when I'll be in Michigan to visit my folks. My dad lives in Onekama, about 10 miles from Norsebill (we can carpool, dude), so it would be a 4-5 hour drive for me.

Since I'm 'on vacation' (yeah, right, I still drive into Manistee every day to check email and program, LOL), I can drive down anytime, and stay as long as the event goes on.

If Ken does any smoking, I'll be first in line! They just don't smoke meat down here like they do up North, and I miss it a lot!

But, if this thing happens when I'm in Michigan, I'll be there, with bells on, wouldn't miss it!

I drive up from North Carolina, I-40 from Raleigh to I-77, I-77 to the Ohio Turnpike, then the 'pike to Indiana, then north on US-131 to MI-55 to Manistee. I'd offer rides, but I go up for 2-3 weeks to visit family, so won't be coming back anytime soon.

Whoohoo! *Man* this sounds like fun!

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
Since my wife is a teacher, we commonly take family vacations in June, after school is out. If I can work everything out on my end, this major event will be the first stop in the family's summer driving vacation. We'd arrive on Friday, and hit the road on Sunday.

This will be about a 6 hour drive from Green Bay...and I think that's just about when I will need to stop for some refreshments!

Hope to see you all!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, in looking at the Renfaire schedules for 2007 season in Michigan, I'd like to suggest the weekend of Friday June 29, Saturday June 30, Sunday July 1.

Puts it nicely in the 2nd half of June and doesn't conflict with the Ren Faires I'm book for.

David

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
Sounds almost like the "june's" have it... so do I book the time off or what? really, what's a meet without our mascot meadwench. I would say that of course this should happen when our fearless community leaders are available.

Itching to try coppious ammounts in 1 ounce servings ;)

Tsuchi

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns