• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Green Tint

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ironcheflove

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2006
As my mead was fermenting away everything looked OK, but as the yeast settled and I transfered to second I noticed a green tint to it. Is that normal for some honey varities? I didn't notice any kind of tint in the honey I'm useing which is Lehua. It comes from the trees that are the first to start to grow on the lava bed of Big Island in Hawaii. Well maybe some color will be extracted from the vanilla beans and true cinnamon sticks I to help hide it. That is if something hasn't gone wrong with it.
link to more info on Lehua Honey
http://www.smithfarms.com/honey.asp

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Does the glass in your cayboy have some tint to it? :D
One of mine has a slight but noticable greenish tint.

Ironcheflove

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2006
I checked the mead itself, got the slurry in a mason jar in refig. to get every last drop of goodness. Just waitting for the yeast to drop. Seeing alittle of a green tint in there too.

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
I looked up your old posts and am guessing this is the batch you are talking about. Please post up the correct batch if it's different than this one.
http://tinyurl.com/lgz7p

Has the mead totally cleared? Is it green as a solution or have green floaties. Is it green thoughout or concentrated in areas? And how green? Like a green jolly rancher?

I remember drinkng a beer at a bar. It looked greenish but it wasn't St. patricks day. I had the waitress check out the taps and all - but further investigation revealed the lighting (from a green neon sign behind my seat) made my beer look green.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Tupelo honey has been known to have a greenish tint, although I couldn't find similar descriptions for Lehua honey on a quick Google search.

More than likely it's nothing to worry about. So long as the mead looks and tastes ok on final clearing and bottling, it should be fine.

Ironcheflove

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2006
Well it's a very slight green, not jolly rancher green, maybe half as bright as one troughout. I couldn't see any green when the yeast was in supension, but as it's clearing(almost can read through it) the color is more there.

The taste is great so far just alittle hot, but that'll age out. The color will be hard to explain to SWMBO and others, so I'm hoping the vanilla will brown it alittle.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Ironcheflove said:
Well it's a very slight green, not jolly rancher green, maybe half as bright as one troughout. I couldn't see any green when the yeast was in supension, but as it's clearing(almost can read through it) the color is more there.

The taste is great so far just alittle hot, but that'll age out. The color will be hard to explain to SWMBO and others, so I'm hoping the vanilla will brown it alittle.

Don't worry about the appearance. Turn the lights down low, do all the other things necessary to make for a romantic setting for SWMBO, let her take a sip, and the color won't make any difference at all. ;D

It's the taste of mead that makes all the difference! ;D ;D ;D

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I've had greenish honey from the Purple Loosestrife plant in Pennsylvania. Another greenish honey can come from Tuip Popular trees. Seems you have discovered a unique honey source so enjoy it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns