• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

desperately seeking mead!

Barrel Char Wood Products

jamiek_77

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 5, 2006
Ok peoples....
About a year and a half ago my boyfriend (at-the-time) introduced me to Mead. One of his friends from San Franciscon stopped by and gave us a bottle of this absolutely fantastic home-brewed mead. He has lost touch with this friend and we have been looking for a mead at least somewhat like it since with no luck.
Now we're engaged and are getting married in March. We are both Irish, and we both very much like Mead, so we thought it would be fitting to use Mead for a toast instead of the more traditional choice of Champagne.
What we're looking for is (and forgive the lack of correct terminology) a very full-bodied (almost syrupy) mead that smells kind of spicy, but mostly smells and tastes like honeyed apples and cinnamon. The alcohol content was pretty high, but you would never know it by tasting (didn't taste at all like a 'wine'). It was a rich golden yellow color, translucent, but had a definite color to it.
We've tried a couple from the Rabbit's Foot meadery (A pear and a desert mead I think) We've tried a couple of local winery's versions, we've tried Carroll's and we've tried Bunratty. The closest we've come is the Bunratty, but the flavor wasn't really the same. The flavor in the Carroll's was good, but it had a "winey" body (very thin) and almost bubbly alcohol feel/taste to it, if that makes any sense. But we got creative and we took 2/3 parts of Carroll's (for the sweetness and fruity tast) and mixed it with 1/3 parts of Bunratty (for the body and the spicy taste). It was very close to what we're looking for, but still fell a little short.
Does anyone have any suggestions??? (one's that I could have shipped to California would be much preferred, but not necessary). We need to get about 25-30 bottles of it before march, so I'm assuming home-brews are out.
help me please!!! I would be eternally grateful.....

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
From your description, I was going to mention Bunratty as well until I read a little further. Bunratty is actually spiced mead blended with wine and there's some confusion over whether to even classify it as a true mead since Bunratty apparently won't divulge the percentage of wine they blend with the mead.

I'd suggest one of the Strawski meads. There's a distributor in both Monterey and Sonoma but I've ordered from a Chicago distribtor before with good success.

http://www.polishmeads.com/Jadwiga.html

or for a little more highly concentrated (and more alcoholic) mead, try:

http://www.polishmeads.com/Kurpiowski.html

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns