• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clearing JAO questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kwatt

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2006
I have questions about clearing JOA's
The fermentation room temp. is 68-74 degrees F.

Batch # 1 is a 3 gallon JOA:
Followed the recipe exactly except for accidently using one-half pound less honey than called for.
Started July 6th 2006.
On October 8th it was almost clear enough to read newsprint through. October 11th orange slices began falling but it started clouding up.
October 12 took about 1/2 pint out to take SG reading. The reading was 1.030 @ 72 degrees F. Corrected SG = 1.031. And taste OK. ;) (After taking reading put excess in ref. for 18 hours and there was no sediment.)
As of October 14 about half of the orange slices have fallen. And it is still cloudy.
It has been going 13+ weeks. This is about 5 weeks longer than most people report. Is there any need to worry about spoilage?

In comparison I have a 1 gallon exact JOA that is in the same condition i.e. half the oranges fallen and clouding up. That started August 20 2006

And a 1 gallon that I used one-half gallon apple juice instead of water in a JOA sorta recipe. That I put a newspaper behind and I can read every word but the oranges are all floating. That started September 4 2006.

I am not concerned about the 1 gallon batches. But is seems the 3 gallon is taking longer that it is supposed to.

If there is no danger of losing the batch. I'll let it go another couple months. Except for the needed testing samples of course. ;D

Waiting is....

K

Dahole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2006
I am not sure I can help you other then to say that I put my first ever batch of Mead on the same day as you. 1Gal of JAO on 20Aug2006.

I had all but one slice of the oranges fall and it was very clear. I pulled it off tonight. If I get a chance I will post a picture of the 4 bottles to show how clear it is.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Kwatt said:
I have questions about clearing JOA's
The fermentation room temp. is 68-74 degrees F.

Batch # 1 is a 3 gallon JOA:
Followed the recipe exactly except for accidently using one-half pound less honey than called for.
Started July 6th 2006.
On October 8th it was almost clear enough to read newsprint through. October 11th orange slices began falling but it started clouding up.
October 12 took about 1/2 pint out to take SG reading. The reading was 1.030 @ 72 degrees F. Corrected SG = 1.031. And taste OK. ;) (After taking reading put excess in ref. for 18 hours and there was no sediment.)
As of October 14 about half of the orange slices have fallen. And it is still cloudy.
It has been going 13+ weeks. This is about 5 weeks longer than most people report. Is there any need to worry about spoilage?

In comparison I have a 1 gallon exact JOA that is in the same condition i.e. half the oranges fallen and clouding up. That started August 20 2006

And a 1 gallon that I used one-half gallon apple juice instead of water in a JOA sorta recipe. That I put a newspaper behind and I can read every word but the oranges are all floating. That started September 4 2006.

I am not concerned about the 1 gallon batches. But is seems the 3 gallon is taking longer that it is supposed to.

If there is no danger of losing the batch. I'll let it go another couple months. Except for the needed testing samples of course. ;D

Waiting is....

Hello!

Don't worry about losing the batch. Just let it sit, and it'll work itself out.

JOA is a wonderful recipe -- it'll have it's ups and downs but so long as they're not too bad, they'll work themselves out. Don't worry about ambient temperature, dont' worry about starting gravity. Follow the Ancient One's instructions to the letter and this hardy recipe will finish out, regardless of variations. Don't treat it as a regular mead, i.e., taking starting gravity readings, periodic gravity readings, ect. Put it in a dark cool place, leave it alone and you'll be rewarded with an excellant spiced melomel.

If there are problems, post your exact recipe and procedures, and the JOA experts on this list will jump in. Otherwise, let it alone, even if it doesn't seem to be progressing as reported. Because JAO is a truly ancient recipe, there's a lot flexibility, and a lot of room for variations on the theme!

Kwatt

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thanks for the response.

Due to my employer blocking this site. :( And me working overtime I have not been checking in the last few days.

10/18/20
All the orange slices were at the bottom. So I bottled it. I pulled the cork this afternoon on the first bottle and it is GOOOODDD. :icon_thumright:
There is some slight cloudiness but not enough to bother me all things considered.

Total Time start to bottling: 104 days.

This is my second mead and I consider it my first successful mead due to the fact that all it needs is drinking. ;D My first needed backsweeting. I like sweet. ;)

Thanks to all here. I have learned something from most post on this site even if just what not to do. ;D

Bye for now gotta go pour a glass ......

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
I made my one gal batch of JAO on 5-11-2007.

It is perfectly clear, however, I am still getting bubbles rising from the yeast on the bottom. Do I just let it sit since I am well early of the 2 month mark?

Is this normal and will this stop over time?

Thanks again.

Jason

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
Great, thanks for the help. I have only been doing mead since march, so I am still learning how to have patience. ;)

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
lol ya its pretty hard until after you bottle your first few big batches and realize how much mead you have in your closet(30 gallons), and that your not running out anytime soon wo you might as well let them age up as long as you have the room. i bottled what was left of my 5 gallon JAO from a ways back yesterday. there was only about 3 gallons left from rackings(it was racked into a 3 gal carboy) and my friends wanting to drink it.... i still have 2 bottles of my first cyser, and about 20 bottles of my buckwheat show mead, to that add my recently bottled JAO, and im at 37 bottles of mead, 750 ml. bottles too. Ive also got 15 more gallons bulk aging. at this point i have realized that its better to let them keep bulk aging until i am ready to start more mead and need the space.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns