• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

TOO much Fermentation Banana & P.B Melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

griff_consortium

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2006
Ok I started this after making one good mead.
It's in a one gallon jug.
2lbs bananas
1 Lb Jar of Jiff Peanut Butter
1.5 Lb Clover Honey
1 Lb maple syrup (imatation unfortunately)
Yellow Star pastuer Champane Yeast.
5Ml Nutrient,
water to almost one gallon (but not that much gave some room)
<5ml amount acide blend.

Blended ( With large blender) bananas and jiff with small amount of warm water, added honey and syrup. Let cool to blood temp and pitched yeast. S.G : 1.1 or as best I could
Smelled INCREDIBLE! Brought back memories of childhood.
IK called it King Of Meads as reference to Elvis' love of Peanut Butter and Bananas.

Problem: Bubbled out half a gallon on to counter! Must smelled and tasted incredible though.
< half gallon left, but its fermenting.
Also my house has water softener if that helps.
I really need to log this recipe, my brother has his carboy ready to make the same thing but doesn't want a floor full of 2.5 gallon must. lol
Any help on the next batch would be appreciated!

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
wow bannana nut explosion... Snicker, (sorry about the mess) My most practical advice is to recomend a bucket, a BIG bucket (5 gal :) ) for your primary I have read that some fruits and also oil heavy musts are messy fermentors and many a recipie will recomend either an open ferment for your primary or a blow off tube instead of and air lock because they tend to clog less. I personaly have used the blowoff tube to good effect with vigorous firmentations. My blow off tube usualy consists of about six inches of 1/2 " tubing comming out of a rubber cork, either taped or rubber banded into a short glass of water.

Best of luck and please keep us informed on how she progresses.

Tsuchi

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
From what you're describing this must should have been about the consistancy of of a peanut butter/banana malt. Did you take a gravity reading on this?

I'm thinking you may need to add more water from what I'm reading.

Cheers,

Oskaar

griff_consortium

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2006
Oskaar, Tsuchi,
Thank you for your help!
The Specific gravity was HARD to determine around 1.1 before I pitched yeast but this was a malty must as you say almost milkshake, I blamed this on the blender which really whipped the must up with O2, plus our softened water.--Note to self used bottled spring water, and let must settle from high whipped parafet.
--Update 10/16 added more bottled water to remaining must. Not as sweet smelling but still bubbling fine. 4 seperate distinct layers formed. top banana "Cream" layer. Second is an oil layer, third layer is the Mead then the bottom silty peanut butter.----Note to self use browned bananas next time and less peanut butter?
Thanks again.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns