• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Looking for comments on my 1st mead...

Barrel Char Wood Products

BarleyBreath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2006
Here's what I started with...

12 lbs clover honey (from Sam's Club)
1/2 oz Saaz hops
1 pkg L-47 yeast
1 tsp DAP

This is where my beer brewing comes into play...

2 cinniminan sticks
.5 cups of brown sugar
.5 tsp ginger
1 tsp ginger

I think it came out to 1.086 although that seemed low to mee. I was pretty hammard by this time so I guess it could've been 1.186. In any case after about a month the gravity dropped to 1.005 and really clear and pretty sweet. I thought the L 47 was concidered a drier finishing yeast?

I then racked it into a carboy over 1 can of raspberry puree, added .5 tsp DAP, another pound of honey and another pkg of L-47. It has been sitting on the puree for about a week now. I only wanted a hint of raspberry taste and color. If it isn't enough I have a bottle of raspberry extract from a beer recipe.

Now my questions:

1) How long should leave it on the puree? (I know I will have to rack it again)
2) Is there anything I should do for this beside wait?
3) How long in the bottle?
4) Can I bottle in beer bottles with new caps?

Thank you all and sorry this was alittle long... Cheers \_/

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Welcome to Gotmead.com and congratulations on your first batch!

OK a few things jump out at me here:

1. L 47 yeast? Are you perhaps referring to ICV-D47 Yeast by Lallemand (Lalvin)?

BarleyBreath said:
...Snip
2 cinniminan sticks
.5 cups of brown sugar
.5 tsp ginger
1 tsp ginger ...snip

2. Beer brewing aside, is there a difference between the two ginger additions other than just the amount used?

3. Why just two cinnamon sticks? I'm guessing from the amount that you're doing a five gallon batch so just two cinnamon sticks is not really going to jump out unless it's really potent cinnamon in my experience.

4. Why the hops? Just curious on that one.

5. OK, I'm not sure what you were after with the additional package of yeast in the secondary, so maybe you can detail out your process a bit better and give us an idea of the total volume, the current gravity, and the color and flavor of your batch so far.

I think it has some potential it's just kinda all over the place at this point so as mentioned above if you can kind of frame this a little better as far as what you were going for, what the exact additions were and where it is now gravity, taste and aroma wise I think we can help you dial it in a bit. Sounds pretty interesting.

Cheers,

Oskaar

BarleyBreath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2006
Thank you for the reply OSKAAR.

The yeast was in fact ICV-D47. I was looking for something that finished dry and was told this would be a good choice. Also I just finished brewing a christmas cheer beer for the holidays and got this crazy idea to do the some thing for the mead. Thinking back, I should've just made something less techicnal. I like challanges I guess.

Here were my steps:

* heated pot of water on the stove and set honey bottles in for about 10 minutes. This was for a 5 Gallon batch.

* Just dumped in the two cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, ginger and the last 1 tsp was supposed to be all spice. The hop were left over form the christmas beer and cam in a 1 oz bag. I only used .5 oz for the beer so I dumped it into the mead figuring "what the heck".

* Areated with medical grade oxygen and an air stone for about 3 minutes as I stirred.

* waited about 3 weeks and took a gravity reading 1.005.

* racked onto 1 can of oregon raspberry fruit puree and one more pound of honey that was left over and another package of the same yeast. In my very minimum experience, I thought all the yeast was already used up and there was nothing left for the additional fermentables that were added.

When I go home today I will take another gravity reading. I guess the additional package of yeast was not necessary.

Thank you agian for the reply. To be honest, I have no idea where I was going with this but I did want something with a blush color (raspberry purree) something with spices (christmasy, just didn't know how much of what. I figured I can always add more later but can't ever take away once added)

Cheers and thanx again...

BarleyBreath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2006
Would anyone else like to comment on this? I have nothing to compare this too and I may have gone too far out on the limb this time, Haha.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't really think you're that far out on a limb honestly.

Have you tasted this since you added the raspberries? D47 matches up pretty well to raspberries so you should have a good one on your hands if things go well.

Definintely take that gravity reading and a taste, and check your color. I'm guessing you should be at about 1.010 or less given you added some extra yeasties in that along with the raspberries. Could be a little higher though.

Did you rehydrate the yeast or just toss it in?

Cheers,

Oskaar

BarleyBreath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2006
I hadn't tasted it since I added the peree. I'ts still really cloudy which I might rack into another carboy once it is done fermenting (again). How long should I give it on top of the Puree

I just added dry yeast, Gave it a a swirl,another shot of O2 and a half tsp of DAP.

Do you just let it sit until it clears? Keep racking off the sediment? Add gelitan? Can I bottle mead in beer bottles? Grolsh swing tops?

Thank you agian OSKAAR.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns