• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

IMA Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition 2007 Call for Entries

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
CALL FOR ENTRIES

International Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition

What:
The International Mead Festival is an event sponsored by The International Mead Association and is the worlds' largest and most prestigious mead competition and festival. This event hosts both a public tasting of commercial meads and a private BJCP sanctioned judging of mead submitted by Home Mead Makers from across the USA.

The Home Mead Maker Competition:
Last year the Home Mead Maker Competition had 212 entries which is more than double any other mead only competition we know of. Bottle up your best and compete against some of the great Home Mead Makers in the country.

Click here to download the entry form, bottle ID forms, rules, regulations and style guidelines.

Sponsored by:
The Brew Hut and by Beer & Wine At Home

Oskaar sez:
"This is the largest mead only competition and collection of international mead, mead afficionados and mead makers in the known world! If you are a hardcore mead junkie, this is the place to be, and if you only enter one mead competition in 2007 make it the IMA Mead Festival Home Mead Maker Competition. You won't be sorry."

Entry Deadline is December 15th, 2006. 1st Round Judging – January, 2007

Note:
Second round judging and medal announcements will occur on site at the February, 2007 festival. Therefore, you will not need to ship additional mead for the medal round! We will pull the top three winners from each category to be judged in second round judging. Winners will NOT be announced until Friday, February 9, 2007.

The Festival:
Friday, February 9, 2007 - Saturday, February 10, 2007

Since Mead is 'the Drink of Love' then what better weekend than Valentines weekend?!

Where:
New location this year: Denver, Colorado.

For tickets and all other information please go to Meadfest.Com

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
i dunno if im any of my meads are quiet ready for competition yet... maybe ill start a mead around that time for next year? do you do anything special for your competition meads?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey UFC,

I just bottle up my bulk aging meads and enter them. I entered two in the 2006 Orange County Fair (A sweet un-oaked Traditional and and the Oaked Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser), and two in 2006 California State Fair (A sweet-oaked Traditional and my Oaked New Year Cyser which was lees aged for six months).

All I did was bottle them straight out of the aging vessels, cap them and send them off. I ended up with the Cysers taking third at both fairs, and the traditionals taking firsts at both fairs, the oaked traditional took best of show at the State Fair. So I really don't do anything different for my competition meads, I just bottle straight from the carboy 'cause I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to bottling.

Even if it's not optimal, I'd suggest you enter. It will help to grow the competition, it will get you experience in competitions, and most importantly you will get some very good constructive feedback with a chance to take home an award or two. Hey for six bucks a shot its worth it.

:cheers:,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yabodie just brought up an interesting idea for the Mead Festival, which is maybe something we should check into about the possibility of getting an official club recognition status with the AHA so we can designate ourselves as members of an officially recognized "Brew Club" called "Got Mead?" or "The Got Mead Brew Club" or something similar.

Whaddya all think? I can find out if there is an interest. It would be cool to be able to count some winners from "The Got Mead Brew Club"

Last year GotMeaders Ben and Becky Star won best of show. That's just so cool!

Cheers,

Oskaar

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Obviously I think it is a good idea, after all with all the insight, knowledge, etc I have gained from Gotmead, I consider it my mead homebrew "club". Why not have Gotmead receive recognition for what it has done for the home brewing mazer community out there…

EDIT: Here is the link from AHA on how to start up and run a club..
http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/start.html

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
A club sounds like a wonderful idea. Clearly, the Patron status is a form of club, with membership and perks involved. Taking this one step further and setting it up as an official club with the AHA would be great, particularly if GMers continue to win at Meadfest and have their names printed in Zymergy.

Talking of the fest, I am bottling up my entries now. If everything goes well, I may be able to attend, but this will depend on a number of factors aligning themselves at the right time - syzygy (for those scrabble buffs out there, this word wins the game when placed on a triple word score). I hope to see you all there.

Angus

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
This is great idea -- especially for people like me, who have no brew clubs nearby, and live in a community that has a general lack of interest in home brewing (and drinking of any stripe)! And this would definitely add to the GM "presence" at the Meadfest!

Wonderful concept, Yabodie!

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Cool,

I'll get in touch with some of my friends in low places (hmmm, seems like all my friends are in low places :tard:) and see if there is anything else apart from the stuff on the site that we need to do. Maybe we can make if official before we meet in Denver.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Count Me In! Not much of a brew scene in Dubuque, our brew store is a pathetic 15 square feet of shelf space at a super liquor store... the only bright spot is that I save on shipping for Glass Carboy's, the only other possible purchase I'd make from them is D47 yeast... but only if I'm out and can't wait for it to be shipped in from MoreWine.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, I read through the rules and didn't see anything about virtual clubs, meetings or a requirement that we meet face to face. I don't know if the club has to be incorporated as a 501c3 "Not-for-Profit" but I can find that out easily enough. I'll do some diligence and see what is up.

Cheers,

Oskaar

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Excellent!!

I am planning to submit a few entries and I would like to give Gotmead credit. Let us know what you find out Oskaar. I will hold off sending the entries till the end of November.

Here is a few name suggestions (with Vicky's approval of course!!):
GotMead Mazers
GotMazers
Brother Oskaarz Followerz

I am sure that we can come up with other suggestions...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, Vicky will be getting the block of rooms organized on Monday, and we'll see how it falls out then.

This is a new venue for us, and we're very excited to see how the new diggs bear out.

Also, we'll begin announcing the Seminar Titles and Guest Speakers a bit closer to December and into January so you can decide which ones you want to attend. Bring a note book so you can scribble down the things that you want not to forget. Generally there is a Q&A portion at the end of the session, and that's where you'll get some great information on specifics and ideas for the direction you want to take your mead making.

We're planning on having a "Gotmead Gang" get together so we can all throw down and party together (after all, the partying has to commence once the serious stuff is over!) and have a great time putting names with faces.

More to come,

Oskaar

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Any idea right off the bat what kind of pro-level seminars/speeches there might be -- and will they be open to non-pro enthusiasts? Some non-pros are considering tossing their hats into the arena, after all, and might have great interest in what professional mazers have to say about the business end of things.

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
All of the seminars are open to any and all who have purchased admission and wish to attend. I don't have a listing yet of people who will be doing the keynotes, but, the lineup is usually pretty impressive. I think Dr. Garth Cambray stole the show last year!

Cheers,

Oskaar

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Hey Oskaar and Vicky,

I was wondering if there was any more info/updates about GM becoming a sanctioned AHA brew club?

Thanks!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Yabodie,

We've been very busy with getting the site back up and runnin after our down time last month, so, no we have not had the free time to do this. Honestly, with the schedule we both have between the site day-to-day maintenance and operations I don't see this happening anytime quickly unless we have a bevy of folks stepping up to make it happen. We have our hands full.

It's a great idea, and I think that there would be a number of folks interested, but, there are the organizational aspects of it that would be challenging, but not insurmountable. If someone wishes to take the lead on this and get the ball rolling that would be great. We'd need to lay down some guidlines of course.

I took a look around on beertown.org but I didn't see anything comprehensive, and that's about the time we started with the upgrade so from there things became very busy. To be honest I'm busy enough with gotmead.com and the Home Mead Maker Competition and that will keep me busy through at least March of 2007.

Cheers,

Oskaar

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
OK folks,
I talked with the club person at AHA and she said there should not be a problem for Gotmead becoming an official AHA recognized "brewing club". What we would need is contact information for a contact person, including their physical location, e-mail, website, phone number and a club name. I would assume either Vicky or Oskaar would be the contact person and GotMead.com the name.

Vicky or Oskaar, if this is OK please send me a note with the info and I could take care of the rest and post the club number in this thread so we can get credit for all the winnings at the IMF.

:cheers:

Dagda

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Does anyone know when the dead line is for entering for next year's ('08) competition?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns