• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pre-Bottling Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

FierDancr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2006
OK. I have a basic question.

I have assisted in 2 batches of mead and made one batch of melomel on my own already. In various recipies and even on this site I hear mention of racking back into the fermentation bucket and adding either sugar or corn syrup to the product before bottling. I have never seen this done. What purpose does it serve?

Thanks
Fier

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Hi Fier ... welcome to the forums ! :wave:

Some people like to carbonate their meads .... racking into a bottling bucket and adding some priming sugar - or honey - before bottling will cause the mead to carbonate in the bottle - provided of course there is yeast still suspended in the mead.

I don't carbonate my meads, but that is exactly what I do with the beer that I brew !

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
GrantLee63 said:
provided of course there is yeast still suspended in the mead.

AND if that yeast hasn't yet hit its alcohol tolerance. This may also be done to backsweeten, not to carbonate, a Mead that has ended too dry but has hit its alcohol tolerance.

Wrathwilde

FierDancr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2006
Ok. That both makes sense. My batch of Blue Heaven melomel could have used some back sweetening. its a cross of semi-sweet and dry all at the same time. I love the sweeter meads. but the little purple acid trip as I've called it still tastes wonderful... if still only under a year old.

Thank you for your advice.

Now on to my Orange Spice. Oranges are in season now, best time to get some done.

Fier

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns