• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Broke My First Carboy !

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
And am sure glad I wasn't hurt ! Holy crap ! This was really spectacular when it literally disintegrated into a zillion pieces after slipping from my wet hands about 3 feet to the floor. I was doing something VERY, VERY, STUPID, and learned a very powerful lesson .....

Also fortunately, no mead - or beer in this case - was lost as I was draining out the sanitizing solution when I lost my grip. The AG 'Holiday Hefeweizen' I made today will have a special meaning when I drink it over my upcoming Christmas break.

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE SUCKERS !!!!! :eek:

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I toss and lug mine around a lot and had always wondered how big of a mess they would make if broken. I can only imagine how far the pieces flew :(

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I haven't done this yet, but I have had a few close calls in the past. Same scenario, cleaning the carboy and everything is wet and slippery. So I started buying carboy handles. Man I love those things, its like a $6 dollar insurance policy on my carboys and prevents a trip to the ER! As long as I have a good grip on the handle I don't worry to much.

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
I had my first carboy failure in October. I had emptied my barrel into a couple of carboys for bottling. Everything seemed ok. I was letting it sit for a few days before bottling. I cam back down 3 days later to a puddle of wine on my floor. A 5 gallon carboy had somehow developed a crack and leaked it's contents onto the floor. It was heart breaking. After cleaning it up I went upstairs and drank.

I guess there was a weakness in the carboy (even though I had been using it for 6 or 8 years.). I am checking them every time I empty one these days, but I'm not convinced that a crack would have showed. ~sigh~ What are you going to do?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't use the carboy handles, but I do use the big Rubbermaid Roughneck tubs to move my mead around, and do the primaries. They stay in those until primary is done, then I rack out.

When I wash the carboys I use a good rubber dishwashing glove on my right hand and use a dry towel on the bottom of the carboy with my left hand. I have one of those fiberglass sinks that will hold two carboys or a sanitizing bucket and a carboy so if one does slip it doesn't break.

Once they've been cleaned I set them in a staging area that has some carpeting to keep them insulated from the concrete floor in the meadworx.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I suppose some would think that I waste a lot of paper towels but I always make sure my carboy is dry around the bottom edge and the neck before I lift it more than a couple of inches off of a surface. This includes when I am doing any of the process, including sterilizing solution, rinsing, racking, etc.

I also like Oskaar's idea of a rubber glove on one hand (or both) to insure a good grip...

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Milk crates!!! That's the ticket. I remember them fondly from my college years. You can use those suckers for almost as many things as duct tape. hehehe

Now if only I still have a few out in the garage...

I forsee a few of them in my near future one way or the other. They'll be just too handy for something as important as moving/handling carbouys.

Now if only I can get out of this desert and back home where I can start a few batches.

Thanks... ;)

Fwee

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2006
Those bolt-on handles seem like they would put a lot of stress on the neck if a carboy was full. I can't believe that we don't hear more stories about the necks snapping off because of them. :icon_scratch:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns