• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Re: Is it done yet?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

I saw this on the big screen, despite it having 2 of my most-despised "actors" (Kenny Reeves and Winona Whiner). I've been a big fan of the book for, well, ever. I thought they did a pretty decent job of not screwing it up.

And yes, the bicycle scene is EPIC!

Oh, don't want to get too off-topic..... mead!

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Back to the mead...

Well, aside from the sediment having settled out nicely, there's been no visible change since I added the calcium carbonate. I'm willing to believe that these yeast are on strike for the duration.

I've got everything I need to repitch with Lavlin K1v1116. GoFerm for rehydrating, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and DAP, all from LHBS, Fermaid K from B3, and a new aeration machine that I am just dying to try out. Oh, and the yeast, of course.

So, my plan is to rack to a clean carboy, then treat it as if I was starting a new must from scratch. Yeast, nutrients, aeration. I'm going to follow the steps in Ken's Zymurgy article, and both feed and aerate twice daily for 3 days.

I'll probably undertake this tomorrow (Sunday) morning, but I'll check the forum first to see if anyone says "For the love of God, DON'T DO THIS!"

Meanwhile, the JAO continues to bubbly slowly away...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

"For the love of God, DON'T DO THIS!"

Heh heh heh. Tension breaker...had to be done!

I'd recommend making a starter out of your K1-V1116 and giving it 24 hrs to build up and get ready to take on your batch.

Make a 1/2 gallon of 1.040 must. Rehydrate your K1-V1116 with Go-Ferm and atemperate if necessary (see here for rehydration and atemperation information)

Once you're at correct pitch temperature, pitch and allow your starter to run for at least 24 hours, or more. Pour off some of the liquid and then pitch your yeast into the stalled must.

You stand a much better chance of getting your must started again with a large starter of K1 than by just rehydrating the yeast and adding additional nutrient to the must. Check your pH and then go ahead and add some Fermaid-K or yeast nutrient/energizer. Whatever you have on hand.

If you want to get medieval on you're yeast's ass, the follow my K-Sorbate re-start regimen here and substitute the 1.040 must for the cider, using similar amounts.

Let me know if you have questions.

Oskaar

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI

Oskaar said:
"For the love of God, DON'T DO THIS!"

Heh heh heh. Tension breaker...had to be done!

I'd recommend making a starter out of your K1-V1116 and giving it 24 hrs to build up and get ready to take on your batch.

Make a 1/2 gallon of 1.040 must. Rehydrate your K1-V1116 with Go-Ferm and atemperate if necessary (see here for rehydration and atemperation information)

Once you're at correct pitch temperature, pitch and allow your starter to run for at least 24 hours, or more. Pour off some of the liquid and then pitch your yeast into the stalled must.

You stand a much better chance of getting your must started again with a large starter of K1 than by just rehydrating the yeast and adding additional nutrient to the must. Check your pH and then go ahead and add some Fermaid-K or yeast nutrient/energizer. Whatever you have on hand.

If you want to get medieval on you're yeast's ass, the follow my K-Sorbate re-start regimen here and substitute the 1.040 must for the cider, using similar amounts.

Oskaar

My red flag: Aerate the living crap out of the Starter, but not the main volume of must, as that could pose a risk of oxidation.

Carry On.

KDS

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

ken schramm said:
My red flag: Aerate the living crap out of the Starter, but not the main volume of must, as that could pose a risk of oxidation.

Carry On.

KDS

Totally agree with that red flag!

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Oskaar said:
Make a 1/2 gallon of 1.040 must.

<snip>

This may be an inauspicious beginning but... how do I determine that? I spent a bit of time playing on the mead calculator, and the closest thing I could get to an answer was -.549 lbs of honey. Obviously I can't put in a negative half pound and expect to have predictable results ::)

Thanks!

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

I can never get that thing to work very well either.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Chimerix said:
This may be an inauspicious beginning but... how do I determine that? I spent a bit of time playing on the mead calculator, and the closest thing I could get to an answer was -.549 lbs of honey. Obviously I can't put in a negative half pound and expect to have predictable results ::)

Thanks!

Is this a trick question? If you don't have an hydrometer then it's time to get one. To make .5 gal must get a sanitized bucket add 1 quart water, add honey and stir in well, measure with hydrometer, add more honey until it reaches 1.040.

The mead calculator is pretty simple, put .5 in the TARGET VOLUME field and click the box, put 1.040 in the TARGET GRAVITY field and click the box. Click the calculate button and the amout 0.549 pounds will show in the ADDITIONAL SUGARS #1 field.

That's about as easy as I can make it.

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

No, not a trick question. Not at all.

Of course I have a hydrometer. I just assumed there was a method for pre-determining the amount of honey needed, as opposed to a series of add-then-measure steps. And, as I mentioned earlier, the mead calculator returned a negative value when I followed those very steps. Maybe I confused it by trying various other routes along the way, but I assure you, it was a nonsensical answer.

And, for the record, I'm plenty ignorant, but not stupid.

MtnBrewer

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2006

It's about 9 oz. (by weight) of honey and enough water to make a half gallon.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Chimerix said:
And, for the record, I'm plenty ignorant, but not stupid.

All of us are ignorant of something :fart:

Cheers,

Oskaar

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Oskaar said:
The mead calculator is pretty simple, put .5 in the TARGET VOLUME field and click the box, put 1.040 in the TARGET GRAVITY field and click the box. Click the calculate button and the amout 0.549 pounds will show in the ADDITIONAL SUGARS #1 field.

That's about as easy as I can make it.

Oskaar

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong cause it wasnt calculating for me. You have to check the box AFTER putting the value in. As the checkbox is above the value I click on that then enter in my value which doesnt take any new values. so if one were to change their values you'd have to uncheck the box, change your value, then recheck.

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Ok, the yeast starter is, well, starting.

Proving once again that I'm not the cleverest of human beans, I labored to sanitize my free carboy and siphon at the beginning of the project. It wasn't until I was rehydrating the yeast that I realized I was at least 24 hours premature!

1/2 lb-ish honey (from Hungarian flowers, no less!)
water to 1/2 gallon-ish
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Shake vigorously to stir and aerate (this is SO much easier in 1/2 gallons!)
1 packet Lavlin K1-V1116, rehydrated with 1/2 tsp GoFerm for 15 minutes, pitched at about 103F.

Now, do I just leave this alone for the next day-plus, or should I feed and aerate bi-daily?

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI

Chimerix said:

Proving once again that I'm not the cleverest of human beans, I labored to sanitize my free carboy and siphon at the beginning of the project. It wasn't until I was rehydrating the yeast that I realized I was at least 24 hours premature!

water to 1/2 gallon-ish
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 packet Lavlin K1-V1116, rehydrated with 1/2 tsp GoFerm for 15 minutes, pitched at about 103F.

Now, do I just leave this alone for the next day-plus, or should I feed and aerate bi-daily?

Aerate as often as you wish, every couple of hours won't hurt. I'd feed it 1/2 tsp of nutrient and energizer at 12 hours.

KDS

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Chimerix said:

water to 1/2 gallon-ish
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer

Hungarian flowers .... in Hawaii? That's just wrong dude! LOL

Also, just a quick idea for you on batches going forward. I really encourage you to get your hands on some of that varietal honey that Hawaii is famous for producing. Macadamia nut, Lehua, Snowberry, Christmasberry, etc are all stellar honeys in my book. Do a straight varietal with them and don't heat them because you'll totally kill off the things that make them unique and treasured honeys to begin with.

I'm with Ken on the aeration frequency.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Actually, the batch of JAO I have perking is made with Mac nut honey! Funny story, there was a sale, and it was actually the cheapest honey in the store! Fermentation has slowed to a virtual stop, and I'm looking forward to it clearing up any day now.

I used "plain" honey on this troublesome batch just because it was my first, and I was a lot more comfortable buying 20 lbs of the cheap stuff than the local stuff. I am definitely looking forward to doing a set of show meads with whatever I can get my hands on, though. Mac nut is the most easily available, so I'll probably start with that. Lehua is easy to find, but very pricey. Kiawe is a little bit more rare. I've only seen Christmasberry at craft fairs, priced accordingly. I guess I've got my next 4 meads planned!

Things I have learned so far...
-it's ok to not cook the honey
-don't be afraid of oxygen
-don't forget to feed your mead
-materials ordered from the mainland may or may not arrive in time to be of use
-GotMead is an awesome resource!
-cut twice and measure once. It still ends up working! (with a little help from my friends, of course) ::)

The starter is just boiling away! The airlock is cycling as fast as physically possible. I'm about to feed and aerate it on my way to bed. I'll do so again in the morning, and if all looks well when I get home from work, I'll proceed with the re-pitching.

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

I've transferred the must to a new carboy, added 2.5 tsp each of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer, and pitched the starter. Gave it a nice, slow, deep stir.

It's been about 2 hours, and I'm not seeing the kind of activity I was hoping for. There's already a nice thick layer of sediment, but no airlock activity yet. I know, it's only been a couple of hours, I should give it some time. There seems to be waaaay more sediment than can be accounted for by what I put into the carboy, so I'm taking that as a sign of lots of yeastie sex going on.

When I was siphoning, I stopped when I could see that the sediment was really starting to get sucked in, leaving about 1/2" of liquid behind. I was REALLY surprised at what I saw when I poured that last bit out. The sediment may have looked white and fluffy from the edges, but the stuff coming out from the mouth of the carboy was a really dark grey, nearly black. Ugh.

I poured a glass full of this foul-looking sludge, curious to see if it would settle out. It still looks the same 2 hours later... very dark in color, very cloudy. Not unlike a glass of pond water. However, there is active fermentation going on in the glass! Lots of little bubbles breaking the surface. More activity than is going on in the carboy at the moment. :icon_scratch:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Aerate that sucker at least 2-4 times a day and WTC out of it!

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Got up this morning and there was airlock activity!!!!! :cheers: Not so much as I would like, maybe 40 seconds per blip, but steady!

Read Oskaar's post, decided WTC probably meant "whip the crap". Opened the carboy, stirred it aggressively. Since I had it open, and my teaspoons were handy, I fed it again. 2.5 tsp each of nutrient and energizer. It is currently aerating. And I've forgotten to eat my breakfast, I'm so excited!

I got an aeration kit from B3, basically an aquarium pump and a stone with a midline filter. I expected to see bubbles popping up, but instead it's got the must circulating, and a foamy head is forming on the surface. Much fun to watch with coffee!

Things to wish for:
-a more effective way to stir 5 gallons of must inside a carboy. A racking cane is awkward, and my siphon starter works well but steals about a cup of must every dip.
-an airlock lid with a 2nd hole big enough for a 5/8" hose. I'd love to be able to just leave the aeration stone in there for the next few days, and plug in the pump at will.

My plan is to stir and aerate again once I get home from work, then again before bedtime. I think I'll feed it again at bedtime as well, unless that's not a good idea.

Look, Ma! I'm making mead!! :wave:

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

Got home late, so it just got attention once this evening.

It was perking along, about 3 blips per minute. I gave it a good stir, and aerated for about 30 minutes. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact time, because I sat down at the computer.

After looking back over Ken's article in Zymurgy, I decided the yeast would probably be fine if I didn't feed them til morning.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns