View Full Version : Mead Won't Clear

02-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I've got a show mead that I made in September that is still pretty cloudy. This was my first mead. I used 71B so I was expecting it to be pretty clear by now. Here are some details:

15 lbs. Madhava honey (roughly equal portions Alpine wildflower, orange blossom and alfalfa)
Water for 5 gallons
10g Lalvin 71B (rehydrated in Go-Ferm)

OG: 1.107

The honey was not heated except to thin it a little bit. I used HighTest's staggered nutrient addition schedule. Fermentation seemed normal to me. I racked it into secondary once it hit terminal gravity (1.008). It has been racked once more since then. No additives have been added. It's been in my basement the entire time at a pretty steady 65F or so.

What do you guys think I should do?
1) not worry about it?
2) hit it with some Sparkalloid?
3) throw it into the lagering fridge?
4) 2 & 3?
5) something else?


02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, depending on the honey and the process you followed, I'd say that you can give it some more time in the aging vessel and see if it clear.

It would be helpful if you bullet point out your nutrient dosing, and your exact process throughout the fermentation and aging up to this point.

If it's no heat there are times when it can take up to a year, sometimes more for it to clear completely.



02-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Here is HT's SNA schedule, which I followed to the letter. I used Fermaid K, not Superfood by the way.

- At inoculation - 4.5g Superfood [or Fermaid-K] & 4.5g DAP
- At active fermentation - 2.8g Superfood [or Fermaid-K] & 2.8g DAP
- Just before fermentation mid-point - 1.8g Superfood [or Fermaid-K] & 1.8g DAP

1) Active fermentation is defined when the Brix drops 2-3 degrees [This stage typically occurs within 8-24 hrs]
2) The fermentation mid-point can be determined by (OG+TG)/2

In elapsed time, the 2nd addition was made the following day after pitching. The 3rd addition was made 4-5 days later. I don't have my notes in front of me so I can't tell you exactly when it was.

As for the fermentation process, I'm not sure what to add to my original post. It was racked once after fermentation stopped (between 1 & 2 weeks after pitching) and again about a month ago.

It makes sense that the no-heat method would take longer to clear.