• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sick Bees????

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Sounds ugly and hope it doesn't get into my hives. From what the article is saying it almost like the bees got poisoned while in the field which can happen when farmers spray thier fields with an insecticide. There has been a lot of research on mites weaking bees and opening up the chance for a secondary infection. Can't help but wonder if this is the next stage following longterm mite exposure. The other thought I just had was maybe the bees were on a crop with DNA modified to be toxic to insects and got wiped out by it.

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
It would be kind of scary for a crop with DNA modified
to kill insects ...how the heck would any plants
get pollinated with that kind of thing...

and to have it happening in 22 states ...

from what I understand the club sponsoring the class
we are taking has 1000 packages of bees reserved
for pickup in april.

hope this does not affect that

wolf

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
I think there is some corn with modified DNA that has been made toxic to boring grubs. Since corn is wind pollinated it isn't supposed to affect bees and such. Really don't think that's what caused the die-off, maybe a virus carried by the mites cause it.

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Here is another article
Colony Collapse Disorder

• Although the bodies of dead bees often are littered around a hive, sometimes carried out of the hive by worker bees, no bee remains are typically found around colonies struck by the mystery ailment. Scientists assume these bees have flown away from the hive before dying.

• From the outside, a stricken colony may appear normal, with bees leaving and entering. But when beekeepers look inside the hive box, they find few mature bees taking care of the younger, developing bees.

• Normally, a weakened bee colony would be immediately overrun by bees from other colonies or by pests going after the hive's honey. That's not the case with the stricken colonies, which might not be touched for at least two weeks, said Diana Cox-Foster, a Penn State entomology professor investigating the problem.

Messed up stuff

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
Yikes, :eek:

Would you use the honey from a hive
that you thought might have the problem...

Could there be a health risk from this honey ???

Hopefully, this will not cause a great increase in
the price we have to pay for honey from other suppliers.

Wolf

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
There's a good article on it in the Febuary Bee Culture, from what the experts are saying the disease is another type of Nosema that attacks the worker bees. The good news is that it is treatable with already advailable medications.

wolf_tracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 18, 2007
:wave: Beeboy

If we were going to get one magazine on beekeeping
what would you recommend.

:cheers:
wolf and cat

action

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2006
I like ABJ (American Bee Journal) As far as CCD I don't think anyone knows what is going on. There a lot of people working on it. Seems bees feed lots of pollen in the fall faired better then the ones with no pollen feed.
Jack

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
I've alway got Bee Culture, it has a lot of suppliers for equipment, medications and bees in it along with some good articles. American Bee Journal is another good one, I just don't get it. The article in Bee Culture about CCD wasn't positive about the cause of it, they have found that a different type of Nosema was present in almost all the hives that suffered collapse. Some of the evidence also supports that a higher grade of pollen substitute with the right amount of protein can decrease the incidence of collapse. What has me puzzled is that wax moths will not move into the hive and other bees won't rob the hive till over a week has passed after the hive was abandoned.

action

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2006
Just went out to pick up some of my dead outs today. Some are still full of Honey-no robbing?- some have been robbed out but not many. don't know.
Jack

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
So what was the cause of death? Did you have dead bees in the hive? I lost 2 of my 3 colonies, but they died from starvation, weather was to cold and they couldn't move to the honey. I think I avoided the CCD

action

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2006
If you are asking me? I lost a few to starvation (sp?) but lots had lots of Honey but no Bees. Look at them 1 week all is well the next week Dead. Mites-Nutrition is what I think is the cause. we will see. Still in Almonds but moving to Cherrys. Good hives are building up nice (say swarm) good luck to all all Bee Keepers.
Jack

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns