• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My First Fruit Mead

• Thread starter soulkeeper@grungyape.com
  • Start date
Barrel Char Wood Products
S

soulkeeper@grungyape.com

This is a help question, not a look how I did statement!

I have been doing 1 gallon quick sweet meads for a while with much success. I want to try a 1 gallon fruit mead, and I'm unsure of how to do so, and with how much of what.

I'd prefer not apple, as I want to see a mead that is something other than amber. Perhaps a cherry, or blueberry?

I have access really only to natural wildflower honey, created locally down the road.

Can anyone offer me a guide for a 1 gallon (very sweet), or perhaps a proven recipe, or tips?

Oh, and these are the yeasts I have on hand, that I just reordered.

MONTPELLIER- LALVIN,
NARBONNE- LALVIN,
D-47- LALVIN

(sorry copied them off the e-receipt)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, your best bet is to use the search tool and search the RECIPE section. I did a search using *berry as the search keyword and pulled up 4 pages worth of hits.

Use the search tool, be the search tool, live the search tool.

Cheers,

Oskaar

S

soulkeeper@grungyape.com

Although I appreciate the suggestion, I'm not really looking for just a general recipe per say.

I'm looking for advice on what to try as my first real fruit mead, perhaps some suggestions on a proven 1 gallon one for a beginner similar to the suggestions to try JAO for the first time, or some tips on what to expect. The recipe's alone don't give this kind of advice.

;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Look,

I understand what you're saying, but take some time and read the recipes. Contrary to what you think you will get some very good insight as to what works and what doesn't. Follow that up with some reading in the Brewlog to get an idea of how berry melomels progress. Research is what this site is all about, and you'll find that if you have done a bit of reading you'll have a better idea of what to ask.

Also read the newbees guide to meadmaking if you have not already. There are plenty of entries in the recipes and brewlog that will help you get a better idea of what you want. Do your diligence and we'll be more than happy to take a recipe you've come across and help you tweak it so it will give you what you want.

Oskaar

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Hello s@g.c,

What you are asking is extremely vague and the answers could fill hundreds of pages of responses and tons of things to consider.

The very first thing you have to pick is what fruit you want to use. Oranges, pineapples, and other citrus fruits will add acids. Blackberries, currants and other dark frutis will add tannins. Raspberries will add tartness but not necessarily acid (I think its from non acid). Plus each fruit has different levels of sweetness that will increase the SG. We could suggest fruit recipes for fruits you dont even like the taste of and it would be wasting our time with something you dont want.

Adding fruit into the primary before fermentation will give a different flavor then adding into the secondary.

There is also the debate of fresh fruit, frozen, peeling, deseeding, and on and on.

One of the benefits to reading a recipe on a fruit you want to use is the responses on people talking and debating the recipe. We like to help but we need something to work with to then be able to guide and help you in the right direction.

S

soulkeeper@grungyape.com

Rhianni,

Thank you for the reply.

Never having done one, I was pretty open. I suggested blueberry or cherry above only due to the fact that I know it will also impart color. All my meads have been yellow to this point. ;)

As for the specific flavor (fruit before or after primary), I was not too concerned. My method of learning usually is done by hands on practice, trial and error!

I learned my mead making by being told to make, and follow, JAO a year ago. This gave me something to both watch and taste. At the same time, I had the pleasure of reading a lot of good beginner information and began growing.

So I guess when I posted, I was hoping there was a JAO of the fruit variety for a beginner or a first time general fruit mead maker manual.

You'll forgive me, Oskaar has put me a bit off on gotmead at the moment. I wasn't expecting that rude of a reply by a moderator, or in the "newbee" forum non the less. :sad1:

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I read from time to time that people are put off by Oskaar and some of the other posters here but I dont see the negativity attributed to them. Please keep in mind that we get a lot of the same questions over and over again. The people here are honestly very helpful in answering questions but we need to know what the question is. Its like a person walking into a hardware store and says "I want to build a piece of furniture got any ideas?" Or "I am building a bookshelf and it isnt matching the blueprints can you help?" They would need more information to help you. They would point people to the how to book section.

In fact I think Oskaar's second post was very fair. Pick something out and we would help alter it for your specifics. All he was asking is more information to help you get to what you want. I dont think its too much to ask to put some effort into narrowing down what you want then ask for fine tuning and tweaking later.

I can appreciate learning mead that way and like to learn that way too. Here was my first fruid mead
7 lbs honey
water up to 3 gallons. heated to 140 to disolve the honey. Not going to the point of scum forming.
fermentend with WLP-720 yeast
when activity stops, rack into secondary on top of
5 lbs cherries. cherries were sliced in half and de-seeded. since its mid winter cherries are gonna be hard but grab the frozen ones in the grocery store. Try to find some without any funky chemicals added. Frozen fruit is actually good for mead as the freezing breaks up the cells in the fruit and they release their fruitiness more.
1/2 a vanilla bean.

I put the cherries in the secondary cause I wanted a close cherry flavor. If fruit is added to the primary fermentation changes it. Thats why raspberry beers dont taste like raspberry very much at all. I had to rack multiple times as there was lots of bits of cherries. I racked it after 1 month from secondary to tetriary as the vanilla flavor was about right. Its needing to age a bit more then my other meads and I assume its due to the cherries. It turned out pretty nice. A bit sweeter then I wanted but that was due to my inexperiance with fruit and how much the cherries would sweeten.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
s@g.c said:
...snip You'll forgive me, Oskaar has put me a bit off on gotmead at the moment. I wasn't expecting that rude of a reply by a moderator, or in the "newbee" forum non the less. :sad1:

Well, if you found that rude you may be a bit thin skinned to hang around here. I direct you to the FAQ here and here which is where you were directed when you signed up for Gotmead.com.

Your choice, play by the rules or go away. If you have any other beefs PM me and we'll work through them.

Oskaar

S

soulkeeper@grungyape.com

Rhianni said:
Its like a person walking into a hardware store and says "I want to build a piece of furniture got any ideas?" Or "I am building a bookshelf and it isnt matching the blueprints can you help?" They would need more information to help you. They would point people to the how to book section.

I can't argue this at all, nor am I, you are totally correct. I do however think that if you walked into a hardware store, the beginners section, and asked for a blueprint for a beginner piece of furniture, the first timer type deal, you'd get a better reception. Anyway, mute point. Your point is understood and I do agree. :)

Rhianni said:
I put the cherries in the secondary cause I wanted a close cherry flavor. If fruit is added to the primary fermentation changes it. Thats why raspberry beers dont taste like raspberry very much at all. I had to rack multiple times as there was lots of bits of cherries. I racked it after 1 month from secondary to tetriary as the vanilla flavor was about right. Its needing to age a bit more then my other meads and I assume its due to the cherries. It turned out pretty nice. A bit sweeter then I wanted but that was due to my inexperiance with fruit and how much the cherries would sweeten.

I was given a first time, 1 gallon, recipe for a fruit based mead from another site. Grape as it is, that uses juice during and after fermentation. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I happen to prefer them sweet so I have no issues with that.

I do however have access to frozen cherries, plums, apples, oranges and the lot. We have a local farmer's market that is open year round with tons of natural fruits and additives.

I do everything in 1 gallon batches, I run sometimes 8 at a time. It gives me a lot of leeway to test flavors and changes. My last batch was 4, 1 gallon containers of the exact same recipe with only the yeast changed. It was amazing to see, and taste, the difference in the mead.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
s@g.c said:
I do everything in 1 gallon batches, I run sometimes 8 at a time. It gives me a lot of leeway to test flavors and changes. My last batch was 4, 1 gallon containers of the exact same recipe with only the yeast changed. It was amazing to see, and taste, the difference in the mead.

See, now this is a great way to learn and is also a great way to get your technique down. I do this frequently with different types of honey and yeast, fruit, spice etc. This is a great way to learn about the differences in fermentation kinetics of each type of yeast in different environments (raw fruit, frozen fruit, juice, pulp, etc.) as well as in different combinations of fruit and juice, spices and herbs. The more experimentation you do like this the better. It really helps to give you a broad experience base with different yeasts, and to help you in predicting how your yeast will react in a given recipe, even if you haven't made it before.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
s@g.c said:
You'll forgive me, Oskaar has put me a bit off on gotmead at the moment. I wasn't expecting that rude of a reply by a moderator, or in the "newbee" forum non the less. :sad1:

s@g.c,

First let me say: Figure out a fruit you like, figure out a sweetness level and other flavors that you like, and we'll be happy to help you construct a recipe. 'I want to make a fruit mead' *is* a bit vague.

However, that having been said:

I'm sorry that Oskaar's direct ways have put you off, if you've been a lurker for any amount of time, you'll already know that Oskaar is very direct. If you don't like that, then I'm sorry, but that is the way he is. He was not being rude, he was following the rules *I* laid down when I set this place up.

Also, my FAQ clearly states here:
=====================
6. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! This site got started because I was doing my research on meadmaking and created a web page to give me a place to keep my research. The search tool for the forum is located here, and the rest of the site has lots of articles, tips and info, read it first before asking a question that may have been asked dozens of times before.

Don't expect us to do your homework for you. You came here to learn, so study and learn! We're not here to hold your hand, I'm not your mother, and the mead world doesn't owe you instant answers because you don't care to do a search. I spend hours every day searching tech-support forums to learn more about the dozens of tools that run this site, and I don't expect someone to hold my hand, and neither should you.
=====================

He was right. I was a newbee when I started this site 10 years, and this site is a result of *my* research and the research of all those who came to this site.

The question you asked is one that has been asked hundreds of times here. The response you got was the same that hundreds of others have gotten for asking similar questions here and elsewhere on the site. That it was in the NewBee section doesn't make you exempt from doing research.

Is Oskaar direct? Yep, he is. I asked him to be. His job as moderator here (which he does in his free time, he has a regular job and helps me out of friendship) is to make sure the rules are followed. He does his job well.

Fwee

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2006
Now that I have a carboy and an airlock, what am I supposed to do with them? :icon_scratch:

*runs and ducks under cover* :D

Fwee

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2006
Are we there yet? :blob7:

Huh? Huh? :blob6:

Are we there yet? :blob5:

Huh? :blob3:

:binkybaby:

:laughing7:

Barrel Char Wood Products