• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

PABV and SG relationship

Barrel Char Wood Products

K111er

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2006
Over the weekend, I was explaining to my brother how a hydrometer works, and how we can use OG and FG measurements to calculate an approximate alcohol content. As part of the explanation of how this works, I wrote out some of the equations, and, after seeing it written out like that, I had an insight that I thought I'd share.

ABV ~= delta_SG/0.00736 where delta_SG = OG - FG

I thought about it some, and really understood how this equation defines the relationship between ABV and SG. So, I did some substitutions, using D47 as an example. D47 has an advertised PABV of 14%, so:

14 ~= delta_SG/0.00736

or delta_SG ~= 14 x 0.00736 = 103.04

This means that D47 has the capacity to chew through about 100 points of sugar density to produce 14% alcohol.

So, if I know what my target FG is (based on taste preference), I can easily add the appropriate amount of honey to get the OG required for the yeast under consideration to reach the target. This has likely already been discussed somewhere, but perhaps my equations might be useful to some other newbees.

10% PABV needs 74 points of extra SG
12% PABV needs 88 points of extra SG
14% PABV needs 100 points of extra SG
16% PABV needs 118 points of extra SG
18% PABV needs 133 points of extra SG
20% PABV needs 147 points of extra SG

This is, of course, if you wish to load honey once, without backsweetening at the end.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns