• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

So much for my plan

Barrel Char Wood Products

Gaanon

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 31, 2006
I started a 1gal batch of cyser on 2/20/07 in a 1gal carboy:

1 packet Lavin K1-V116
2.5lbs clover honey
1 ciniamon stick(thought it would give it more of an apple pie flavor)
and a bit shy of 1gal pure organic apple juice.

Starting OG: 1.142(hoping I read the meter right)

Let sit for a month. I was going to rack it into a bucket, clean the carboy and rack it back in, but... There was one problem. My syphon was too big for the mouth on the carboy! Go figure. So here I am swiggin some vodka to kill anything that might be hiding in my mouth before I 'jump start' they syphon process. Yeah...didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I ended up pouring the last bits into the bucket, covered it and set it in my fridge. I'm hoping this will drop enough sediment so I can rack it back into the bottle within the next three days. I haven't taken another SG yet, but there hasn't been any noticable airlock activity in the past 3 days or so.

Well...I guess the question is...does this sound like a good plan? What little bit dripped into my mouth tasted good so far!

Gaanon

NewBeeOne

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2007
Well, I only have about 3-4 months of experience in brewing mead, but, I have been brewing beer for a couple of years. The syphon technique you used does work....although, I have found that if you fill your racking tube up about half-way with water that you can actually syphon with little worry. Just allow the water to flow out into the sink or another bucket, not into your fermenting mead like I have done, and then when the golden liquid begins to flow through the tube, just pinch the tube and then move it to your carboy. I have used this method when I could not get my auto-syphon into the small mouth of the 1 ga. carboys. Now, at my LHBS, they have smaller auto-syphons that actually fit into the small mouths!!! Anywho, as for the racking into a bucket to let it settle....I would say that, as long as the bucket was cleaned and sanitized well that it would be like racking into another glass carboy. Having said that, it might be easier to just buy another glass carboy if that is what you were about to rack back into anyway. Saves a step and an extra chance of spoiling a whole batch. The activity in the airlock will slow down a lot as the fermentation process goes on and depending on your yeast and temps. (I see what kind of yeast you used and the temperatures...but, I am not experienced enough to comment on those just yet.) :cheers: Good luck!

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Squench said:
What does LHBS stand for?

Snicker... A Common Question. The answer is of course my "Lonely Housewife's Bungalow/Shack"

Read it again, now it makes perfect sense -

NewBeeOne said:
Now, at my Lonely Housewife's Bungalow/Shack, they have smaller auto-syphons that actually fit into the small mouths!!! :eek:

Automated Housewives, ;) now if they only did housework too. ::)

Just Joking... it's "local home brew store".

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Gaanon

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 31, 2006
Well...racked it back into the 1gal bottle and topped it off with more apple juice. I know it's like back sweetening it, but at the same time, it'll be aging for a while. Either way...I wanted to be sure I got it off the lees.

Still tasting good so far. But I want to let it age out a bit. At least a month. We'll take it from there.

Gaanon

NewBeeOne

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2007
:D I will never again look at those letters the same again in any post.....

richard lambert

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2006
JB
Go to "more wine .com" and look under racking. They have a racking pump for 8.95
that will make your life so much easier.

good luck
richard

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns