• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dissolvo, the Amazing Dissolving Blow-off Tube

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
This has happened to me twice now.

Take an ordinary blow-off tube. Let it do its job and become filled with funk. Soak it in a pail of bleach water for a few days to remove said funk. End up with a thick patina of white an all exposed surfaces of the tube, inside and out.

The first time, I blamed it on the bucket (some of you may remember my complaints about laundry detergent buckets and meadow fresh bottles). This last time, it was in a food-grade bucket.

Now, the hose itself I buy from City Mill. I don't believe that's the issue, but I believe in being thorough.

The white residue wipes off fairly easily, and has no real scent, but sure makes me not want to use that hose again.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
How much bleach do you use? Have you tried a different cleaner (like PBW)? Plastics don't generally stand up well to prolonged chemical attack, so I'd try a shorter soak or a milder cleaner and see if that helps.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I've had this problem before, years ago, when I used bleach for all my cleaning and sanitizing. I think that the chlorine reacts with stuff in the plastic to cause it to begin to disassociate. Remember that clear plastic tubing is PVC, PolyvinlyCHLORIDE. The addition of a huge number of chlorine ions must have some effect on the stability of the PVC in the tube. Anyway, after prolonged soaking in strong chlorine bleach the tubing eventually will disintegrate to the point where it will become sticky to the touch -- can't be good for subsequent cleaning away of organic residues!

Better to use one of the carbonate cleaners (like B-Brite) followed by a sanitizing rinse -- that can be bleach water, as long as you don't let it soak in too long, and you rinse it properly later. Even better is to use a product like Saniclean which will do a very good job of cleaning and sanitizing in one step.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
What's the ID of your BOT? I just run scalding water through one of my faucet attachments depending on the size of the tubing, and then if there's something really obnoxious I just run some yarn through the BOT.

I sanitize with Iodophor, haven't changed the tubing in years. I do the same for my racking tubing. No infections, no problems of any kind. After a while the tubing picks up coloring from the iodophor but I don't ever get any aroma or flavor from the tubing.

Works like a champ.

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
ID=1", OD=1 1/4"

Tell me more of this Idophor... just noticed today that my LHBS carries same.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Iodophor is one of the "no-rinse" sanitizers. You dilute some in water to about 12-25ppm iodide and that kills the little buggies in a couple of minutes. Let dry or just shake the drops off and use (I just shake, too lazy to wait). Easy. Keeps sanitizing until it's not yellow anymore. It will stain plastic parts, but it doesn't really matter. Also highlights crap you didn't clean out of the sink with a pretty purple color.

I'm tempted to switch to StarSan, which is another no-rinse that kills things with a pH of about 2. Totally harmless when diluted to higher pH, whereas iodide is not so nice for the local sewage microflora. Though I doubt it much matters in a city, Iodophor might not be the sort of thing you'd want to drain if you have a septic tank.

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
I use Star-San as we are on a septic. I use a lot of sanitizer, it's the cheapest part of insurance against infection!

My septic is fine so far. I do dump yeast cakes and also some commercial septic system bugs in every six months or so.

I really like Star-San, although I am thinking of switching to the no-foam version which is a bit more expensive. But not having to deal with the bubbles would be nice.

Leonora

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns