• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is this batch infected?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
My sweet high octane raspberry mel has got some really funky snake looking white puffy maybe intestine looking things at the bottom of the carboy on top of the more mundane looking sediment. I haven't learned to post a link to the brewlog of my SHORM yet which contains most of the details thusfar. I have 6 pics(through glass and liquid didn't yield pristine results) but will only try one until I know I got that right.http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01223.jpg I appologize if I didn't do this right
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01228.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01227.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01226.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01225.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z134/johnnybladers/DSC01224.jpg
Thanks for any advice, Jon

Edited to add other photos

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How's it taste? If it's good, rack some off the bottom closest to the lees and don't let the racking cane touch the bottom. Tast test that as well. If it's good then rack and age.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
didn't taste it yet (tonight my buds are fried from beer) though yesterday when the pics were taken it smelled fine. I'll taste it thursday at top level and if I can get a good sample bottom as well. If the pic link was OK there are 5 other pics, though none are super clear of the ropey things on the bottom.
Thanks, Jon

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Dude, I don't know how to break this to you gently, so I'll just blurt it right out.

Your mead is infected with ALIEN SPACE SPORES!

Do not, under any circumstances, allow them to escape from that carboy. Mankind will be doomed to end its existence as a tasty treat.

Do not, under any circumstances, taste the embryonic fluid, or allow anyone else to do so. Keep a wary eye on members of your household, visiting friends, even evangelical door-knockers who may happen by. If you see any of them become momentarily disoriented, then smile and pick right back up where they left off, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!!

Oh, and be sure to post here, letting the rest of us know it's time to get to our bunkers.

I have alerted the FBI, CDC, and NSA. When they show up, remain calm, comply with all instructions shouted via megaphone, and make no sudden moves.

Been nice knowing you! :wave:

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Hey when I first spotted something towards the bottom of the carboy, it was very hard to see in. I couldn't tell if it was inside or a reflection. When I shined the flashlight into the carboy from the side and saw that thing in there I had a flashback to a sci-fi movie and was certain it was at the very least going to attack the glass if not downright go through the glass and attach itself to my face :angry5: I've already told my brother that when I rack this batch he has got to cover me with the shotgun :laughing7:( from a distance giving him time to react of course since mom won't want to lose two sons to the same alien beast)

I've already sampled some of the embryonic fluid (from the top and very near the alien snake at the bottom) and it seemed okay, nice honey and raspberry smell still taste lots of alcohol but it is better than the last time I sampled before the alien arrived. I'm still thinking to rack ASAP and probably dose with sulfite and sorbate if that would be the prudent thing to do (get out that thermo-nuclear alien spore killer :angryfire:)

M

Marko DaBeest

Listen my good and dear friend Mr Johnnybladers. There is nothing to fear from my friendly little larvae in the bottom of your carbuoy. It is only my way of sampling your mead. It is delightful and I think that you are ready to go Professional. I'm willing to invest in your meadery and provide some venture capital to guarantee success.

I will send an agreement over via courier, all you need to do is sign you li.... just sign at the bottom with the special pen I provide. Just look for my courier around midnight, people say he looks like Sadaam, but I think he looks more like Omar Sharif. By the bye, what's your blood type?

S

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude, if you're waitin' on the Devil to pay you back, you done stepped into Hell and never even noticed it!

Take a chance . . . Custer did!

Oskaar

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Seriously though, does anyone want to weigh in as to if sulfite and sorbate would be advisable or if this is just funky shaped sediment rather than a bacterial growth as I was at first afraid of. The taste at the top of the carboy and very near the alien/ Spawn of Satan is identical to me and not at all foul if a bit hot yet (it should be between 17 and 18% alc).
Thanks, Jon

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
JB,
I've had wispy yeast at the bottom of my carboys before, the mead turned out excellent. I've also had active fermentations that looked like yeasty dough clumps rising and falling, seriously some were as big as a golden dollar, also turned out excellent. My gut feeling is if it's not growing on the surface of the mead or "fungus looking" growing in patches on the glass sides then you are probably OK.

Wrathwilde

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Hey WW,
Thanks for your experience as I don't really know what looks "right" other than very obvious furry mold on the top as being very wrong.
Thanks again, Jon

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns