• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

oxygen

Barrel Char Wood Products

novacat17

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2007
Hello all!

So I have a tiny bit of an issue, I was making one of my first batches of mead, after reading the compleat meadmaker by schramm, and I was starting out with a small one gallon batch. I know five gallons is standard but I have yet to get the supplies for that large of a batch and wanted to start small. I pasteurized the honey, simply because I don’t feel confident enough for the natural way yet.

So I used bout 4 lbs of honey and one gallon of water, 1 teaspoon of nutrient (as stated by directions on packet) and my yeast was Lalvin Wine Yeast EC-1118, I followed directions on back of packet about placing yeast in 100 degree f water for 15 minutes and such. I heated my honey, put it in my sterilized 1 gallon container and let it cool to below 80, then pitched the activated yeast. I gave the honey water a good hard stirring before pitching to oxygenate it; however it’s been about a week and im seeing very little activity in my fermentation lock. I was wondering if this is because of the batch size, only a gallon, or due to lack of oxygen or nutrient. My big question is, should I, or rather would it hurt my mead to shake it up and get a bit more oxygen into it after a week with the yeast? Or maybe add a lil more nutrient? Or am I just hosed and should start over, :BangHead:

Thanks for any help and advice, I have been reading around and am find lots of good info!

cheers! :cheers:

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Welcome to the Forums Novacat!

EC-1118 is a hearty, aggressive yeast, if you're getting airlock activity, I'd let it do its thing, maybe give it a few gentle swirls, make sure it's warm enough, 65-72 (f), but being summer I doubt low temps are a problem.

Wrathwilde

novacat17

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2007
ok, so after i week i shouldnt be too worried! awesome makes me feel a bit better, and ya heat isnt a problem, or actually it is a problem sometimes, i live in arizona, it was 108 today! but i manage to keep the mead at around 70

thank you very much Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns