• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yeast Nutrient Smell

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I've a question about using the yeast nutrient found in all the local home brew stores. I used some in a batch of regular mead, no fruit, just honey, water, nutrient and Red Star Champagne yeast and have noticed a strong yeast/bread smell and flavor in the must that is very simular to the smell of the nutrient. Since this the first time I've use any nutrient I'm just wondering if this yeasty smell and flavor is normal and will it go away as the mead settles.
Thanks

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How much did you use?

Yeast nutrient often has what I call a "signature" aroma. This is mostly from the dead yeast cells, vitamins and minerals. However, I've never noticed it in the must. Did you dissolve the nutrient in some water prior to adding it? If not, there's a good liklihood that some went into your must and is not completely dissolved yet.

Check again after 24 hours, and echo back what you find. Also, let me know what kind of nutrient and how much you used.

Cheers,

Oskaar

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I used the Fermax yeast nutrient made by Crosby & Baker. The lable says to use one tsp per gallon but I only used two tsp for a four gallon batch. I didn't premix it, just tossed it in the primary and mixed it in with everything else. The yeasty flavor isn't as noticable as it was, I'm wondering if it is normal and my taste buds are out of whack. The last two batches I've made were melomels using lemons and vanilla so I've gotten used to a tart bite ;D when drinking. The mead was racked to the secondary last week after two weeks in the primary so it is still to early to tell what the final flavor will be. The honey is a orange blossom/wild flower blend from my hives and I'm hoping to get a nice classic straight mead from it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns