• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

introduction

Barrel Char Wood Products

Arjan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
Hey GMers!
I have been crawling the site for a while now as a guest and recently registered when i defenatively caught the meadmaking virus. (although its still theoreticaly :))

Recently i managed to grab an hold onto some equipment to finally start making Mead (joes ancient orange as suggested by many). yay!
Theres still lots of carefull planning and reading for me to do, so i will be lurking most of the time and figure out where to start and how to continue.

anyway, just wanted to say hi!

cheers
Arjan

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Welcome to Gotmead.com!!

(Watch out for Vicky, she's been kinda cranky lately ::)

Cheers,

Oskaar

MtnBrewer

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2006
Welcome to GM. If you've been lurking, you know how much good info there is here. I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Welcome to Got Mead!

Have Fun, Make Friends, Drink Mead, and

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

~Wolfie

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Hey Arjan, welcome to GM!! We're glad you're here and even more glad to hear that you're getting started on your first batch of mead. JAO was my first as well. The hardest part is going to be letting it alone until it's finished so be forewarned. :laughing7:

This hobby will take a hold of you if you're lucky, so read, mead, and be merry...
:cheers:
Sandman

Arjan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
Sandman said:
Hey Arjan, welcome to GM!! We're glad you're here and even more glad to hear that you're getting started on your first batch of mead. JAO was my first as well. The hardest part is going to be letting it alone until it's finished so be forewarned. :laughing7:

This hobby will take a hold of you if you're lucky, so read, mead, and be merry...
:cheers:
Sandman

thnx for the welcome :)

Already have a very noobish question regarding the JAO recipe.. about the fleischmann yeast. is the one mentioned a dry yeast or a fresh one?
ofc i cant get fleischmann's arround here, but got some other fresh yeast from my local baker.. but later also found dry yeast from the same manufacturer.. so now i dont know where to take that tablespoon from :)

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Yo dude.

so far as I know the active dry yeast packets is what you want. (Does JAO tell you to rehydrate? I cant remember)
When he says "fresh yeast" he means "not that pack of active dry yeas thats been in your aunt Thelmas pantry for 30 years".

But out of curiosity, when you say "fresh from the baker" do you mean active yeast cultures in dough?

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Just plain, dry, regular (NOT rapid rising) Fleischman's bread yeast from the grocery store. Dump it in dry and then swirl it around a bit. Just like the recipe says.

This mead tends to be a bit pithy if you aren't careful, but not so much as a maralade or anything like that. Nice kick as well.

Remember, this is a very basic kind of recipe designed just to get your feet wet. After this one you'll probably want to check out the wine and champagne yeasts available from your LHBS.

Good luck,
Sandman

Arjan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
Wolfie said:
But out of curiosity, when you say "fresh from the baker" do you mean active yeast cultures in dough?

yep indeed, i mean the dough

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
As a side note, people have used rapid rising yeast before, it seems to go to a higher ABV.

For that matter fresh in dough might be an interesting experement. While it breaks the modern rules it is certaily a traditional way to get yeast into a mead according to our historical recipes on site.

Arjan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
Wolfie said:
As a side note, people have used rapid rising yeast before, it seems to go to a higher ABV.

For that matter fresh in dough might be an interesting experement. While it breaks the modern rules it is certaily a traditional way to get yeast into a mead according to our historical recipes on site.

since i already got the dough i will make 2 batches then to start with. one with the dry one, and one with the dough.
ill probably going to start them this weekend.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns