• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Another Newb

Barrel Char Wood Products

DavidF

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just registered and figured I'd say hi. Thanks for all the great info posted here. I've contemplated making mead for a few years now and stumbled onto this site a few days ago. Kinda gave me the kick in the rear I needed to get a batch started. Made a trip to the brew shop then headed home to mix it all up. My tendency to go against all good advice makes me fear that this first gallon will turn to vinegar but I'm a glutton for punishment so it's all good. I'll drink it anyway. ;D

Anywho, thanks again for all the good stuff here.

Sláinte :cheers:
David

DavidF

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2007
Sandman said:
Welcome to the forum David!

You'll find more information and advice here than you'll know what to do with. Any ideas on what your first batch will be?
:cheers:
Sandman
Thanks, Sandman. :)

Not sure what it'll turn out to be. Swill, most likely. I just tossed a couple pounds of honey, a bit of water, and way too much baking yeast into a jug. Then decided that wasn't good enough so I put in half an orange. Blew up the airlock within an hour. I'm not too good at following directions but I've gotten lucky in the past being reckless with fruit wine projects.

This weekend the real mead making starts. Might even try to follow directions.

David

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
My first mead was a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange. It turned out great after 4 months. It's drinkable earlier, but the extra aging time only helped improve it. I'd say 4-6 months is a good batch time on this one. When it clears you can rack it for storage. Then give it another month or three (if you can) before drinking it.

Aside from the JAO though make the effort to get some real brewing yeasts. If there's no LHBS near you I would advise making an online purchase soon.

Also, try following the directions a few times before branching too far into experimentation. You'll be glad you did. :drunken_smilie:
Sandman

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Sandman said:
Aside from the JAO though make the effort to get some real brewing yeasts. If there's no LHBS near you I would advise making an online purchase soon.

Also, try following the directions a few times before branching too far into experimentation. You'll be glad you did. :drunken_smilie:
Sandman
I'll second that

DavidF

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2007
Hello again,

Been a couple months now and I'm back for another question or two. Hope you don't mind. :)

The mead that I started has sat in the basement for a little over two months now. I pretty much forgot about it so it sat on the yeast, in the primary fermenter the entire time. It has cleared nicely but being on the yeast for so long has me a bit worried. Should I be worried?

The few orange slices that are in it have not settled to the bottom of the bottle yet but I'm thinking of bottling it now anyway. What say you? Should I wait until the fruit settles or just go ahead and bottle now? Or should I just dump it because it's ruined?

Thanks for any and all help.

David

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
DavidF said:
Or should I just dump it because it's ruined?

David
How do you know it's ruined if you haven't sampled it? Taste it, bottle it (or rack off the sediment and age further in bulk) and later drink it :drunken_smilie: My understanding is age cures many ills. Let baby mead grow before you judge it harshly

DavidF

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 1, 2007
Johnnybladers said:
DavidF said:
Or should I just dump it because it's ruined?

David
How do you know it's ruined if you haven't sampled it? Taste it, bottle it (or rack off the sediment and age further in bulk) and later drink it :drunken_smilie: My understanding is age cures many ills. Let baby mead grow before you judge it harshly
Oh, I'll definitely sample it. I was just asking because it seems most of the folks around here seem to have the basic chemistry for each batch memorized. Thought they might be able to tell me what the stuff would be like.

You are right though; age does cure most ills. The last beer I brewed tasted better than anything else I ever brewed after a year of aging and the fruit wines I've made were great after a while either in a secondary or after cold-shocking. So I'll probably give a few things a try with this little batch.

Thanks, man.

-David

EDIT: Well, I went ahead and sampled the mead. It wasn't too bad. Not as much yeast flavor as I feared. Very dry thanks to, I think, the amount of honey used but not too disappointing. A slight bubblegum flavor was present. ??? I think it will definitely benefit from some aging in the the bottle.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Sound like your on the right track. I am the first to admit that I have a problem following directions. Remember that everyone here has there own little way of making there wine or mead. You will have your own way and it will take you in many different directions. :icon_thumleft:
Experimentation is the mother of good mead!! ( I made that up! ;D)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns