• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

So many meads, so long to wait...

Barrel Char Wood Products

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Well, I've got 8 gallons in secondary now. I finally got around to taking a few pictures of them today to send to some buddies still over in the sandbox. I figured you guys would like to see them too though so here ya go. ;D

From left to right they are JAO, Tart Cherry Cyser, Mixed Berry Cyser (2), Strawberry/Kiwi Melomel, Pomegranate Melomel, Metheglin (Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg, & Vanilla), and a Traditional (Mesquite) mead.

Now comes the long wait...

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Looks really nice! Those meads are gonna make someone very happy one day! :cheers:

How about some captions to let us know what's what? I see what look like JAO, tart cherry mel and blueberry mel... am I right? What are the others?

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
I added a left to right listing of each so you can tell what they all are. Details for most of them are in the Brewlog under "Mesquite Madness" and "Sandman's Mixed Berry Cyser".

I'll update these again once they clear. The hardest part of course will be letting them age appropriately so I'm starting a 5 gallon batch of JAO this weekend for the holidays. I want to bulk age most of these for 6-12 months, but a few of them are going to end up getting bottled before that. I need the carboys for a yeast experiment I've been wanting to try.

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
Looking good there Sandman!

I'm with you on the JAO thing. It's a great way to keep me and my friends out of the ones I'm *trying* to age. ;)

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
My JAO lit out like a bat outta heck... It's been at 30 blips per minute since about 6 hours after I pitched it yesterday afternoon. I used the rest of my mesquite, a pound of sage, a pound of buckwheat, and some clover on it to get the right amount of honey. LOL (I also rehydrated the yeast before pitching it, but I'm sure Joe would understand)

My lees stirrer and battery drill worked great for aerating. There was no way I was going to shake a full 5 gallon carboy. :laughing7:

This should be an interesting mead in a few months. Definitely something that'll keep me out of the others until they're ready to drink.

Today's my birthday so I'm heading out with my family in a bit to pick out my present. I'm either getting a gallon of OB or a new toy from my LHBS. I haven't decided just yet. :toothy10:
:cheers:

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
Weird, this just showed up on my unread posts. Aug. 19th was your birthday? Heh, same here. Happy belated birthday!

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks dude, I ended up getting 3 gallons of OB from my wife and kids as my gift. ;D (It's good to be 44 and not in the Middle East. 7 weeks back at home now and still counting...)
Happy belated to you too. :cheers:
Rob

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns