• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Avoiding ESP meads in Lower Michigan

Barrel Char Wood Products

darkhorse

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2007
Greetings Mead gods.
Perhaps I am socially inept but I have not found any Mead making/tasting events in lower Michigan and I am anxious to find a way to find out how my mead actually compares. My first batch will be drinkable (I think) in about a month or so. Any suggestions? Does anyone know someone I can get to taste it, or do I need to just keep looking for contests in the area and submit something?

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Darkhorse.

You have asked a very dangerous question. Every person on this site will be happy to sample your Mead and give you advice. With as many members as we have here, you will be left with nothing.

You have a lot of people in MI that you can call on. Ken Schramm is just north of you in central MI. Do a search through the profiles to see who is near to you (if they list their State, many do not). You could also send some to Vicky and Oskaar (do a search on how to send stuff by mail). And of course, I would be more than happy to provide comments ;)

Angus

darkhorse

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2007
Well Angus, you're the first to offer so...I'll look for that information on how to send it via mail and if I don't find anything in my area you might get a package in the mail in a few months. I just figured out you can click on the person to see where they're from. I see you're in Packer land. Not too far away. When it get's closer I'll double check with you for your address and to make sure you still are willing...

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Darkhorse,

I live in Grand Rapids. I know of two places where you can sample commercial meads in GR. I would be happy to give you the 50 cent tour. Of course there is a bit of mead to be sampled in my basement too.

David Baldwin

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
The Rennaisance Fair in lower MI is normally held in Holly. There should be mead brewers there that you could get with to arrange tastings or maybe local competitions and stuff. I think Ken lives out towards Troy, but I won't bet the farm on it just yet.

*sigh* Now that I've left MI myself I've found that there are actually quite a few contacts in teh area I could have gotten together with for social tastings and group brews and such. I still like it out here in the SW though. AZ is awesome and I don't need road salt in the winter. Besides, after the big sandbox it just doesn't seem all that hot out here. LOL

I'd love to try your meads and give some input, but shipping to and from here might make that a bit inconvenient. ::)
:cheers:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
darkhorse said:
Greetings Mead gods.
Perhaps I am socially inept but I have not found any Mead making/tasting events in lower Michigan and I am anxious to find a way to find out how my mead actually compares. My first batch will be drinkable (I think) in about a month or so. Any suggestions? Does anyone know someone I can get to taste it, or do I need to just keep looking for contests in the area and submit something?

Ok, I'm no mead god like Ken, or Pamela Spence or any other published author for that matter, but if you want to send me a bottle (12 oz is ideal) I'll give you a very in depth evaluation on all points of your end product, and I'll also include some ways to structure and layer flavors in your meads if they seem like they would benefit from those changes. I've done this for a number of folks here on the boards, and would be happy to do the same for you.

Cheers,

Oskaar

darkhorse

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2007
Wow Angus you were right about it being a dangerous question. That's ok though, I'm glad for whatever input I can get. Here's what I'll do then everyone. In about a month, when it appears to be ready I'll check with you guys that responded, get address information etc, and go from there.

David-I'll let you know on the tour of GR. I've got a friend that moved up there a couple months ago and I owe him a visit. Could kill two birds with one stone. Just gotta find time...

Sandman-I'll check to see if the Holly Renn has already happened. I think they have one in Marshall too...I'll have to check

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Michigan Ren Fair in Holly runs through this holiday weekend. You can buy mead there - I don't remember whose mead they are selling this year. The last mead I bought there was Oliver Winery's Camelot mead - which is OK, but nothing to swoon over. Unfortunately it had been treated badly - the bottle it was served from was warm to the touch - ick...

I believe that mead can also be purchased at the Silverleaf Renaissance Festival (done for 2007) in Battle Creek.

Mayfaire in Marshal and Derbyshire in Muskegon are "dry" sites so you can't buy it there. However... after hours at those two sites you can probably find several dozen open bottles of home brewed around.

David

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns