• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Scaling Joe's Quick Grape?

Barrel Char Wood Products

goodvibes

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2007
[Joe's Quick Grape Mead recipe:

2 lbs Clover honey
1 oz buckwheat honey
1/8t Pectin Enzymes (I used but on second thought I probably didn't need since Welch's is already clear)
64-oz Welch's Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (Absorbic Acid)
Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
Lalvin EC-1118]

If I want to whip up a 6 gallon batch, do I simply multiply all the components by six(except the yeast)? Or will "bulking it up" ruin the recipe?

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
LOL... More like no idea. :laughing4:

I was hoping to hear something on this one as well. I've been thinking about giving Joe's Grape a try at some point myself. It's a good question.
:cheers:

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
yes. just miltiply the ingredients. make sure to follow his directions exactly though.

goodvibes

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2007
right on....thanks for jumping in guys. I'm going to give this a try for my second mead and see how it turns out :icon_thumright:

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
Heh, sorry for taking a while to find this. I was wondering the same thing a little while back. The consensus is that you would multiply all the ingredients EXCEPT the yeast. From other threads that I've read, it seems that you don't need to worry about scaling yeast until you hit larger batch sizes (like really large).*

Your instincts were right. :D

* Some people say a little extra won't hurt and I'm sure they're right. It just means your yeast has to reproduce a little less to get there.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
I get a bit cautious when it comes to the "out of the box" type recipes, but I haven't tried this one yet. (Carboys are all full right now)

My JAO translated to a larger yield just fine though so I don't see why this one wouldn't as well.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns