• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bottling problem

Barrel Char Wood Products

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Okay so here is the deal. I bottled my Christmas Methliglyn yesterday, and today, as I was putting shrinks on I noticed one bottle had a syrup that happened to taste like my mead, on the outside of the cork. With some investigating I learned that my cork is leaking. So should I recork the bottle? Or should I just drink it soon? Why did this particular one leak? None of the others have that I have noticed, and I have put shrinks on all but six.

YoungMeadman

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Even with the best quality corks you will get some occasional failures. Especially if you are using synthetic corks (the nomacorc plastic ones for example) and if you use one of the older floor corkers, they will occasionally wrinkle the cork and and the bottles will leak a bit.

If it hasn't been too long since you corked it you can re-cork that bottle with a new cork, but it will age faster than the others (due to more O2 exposure) and you will probably want to drink that one relatively soon.

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks alot, I'm going to recork it now!!! I just bought the floor corker used, so I am not sure how old it is. It seems fairly new though.

YoungMeadman

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
thats funny--i was under the impression that synthetic corks were advantageous.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
There isn't enough data available on synthetic corks to make a call at this point. The articles and research I've read has indicated that 2 years is the time limit on those corks until the alcohol begins to break down the materials and impart flavors.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Whoops, that would be the synthetic (Nomacork, etc.) corks that I read up on. Granted that was about a year ago or so, but I do know that the EtOH will act on the polymers over time. I know that many wineries are moving to synthetic corks now as there have been improvements in quality, and the pricing structure is more attractive. I'll have to check it out and refreshNatural corks come with their own bugaboo's as well (TCA, variable quality, etc.) When I use regular natural corks I spend the cash to get the best I can find. I stay away from the composite and agglomerated types and go for the solid high quality corks. I know that the EU has financed a huge cork tree re-planting program totaling over 85,000 hectares and some 25,000,000 trees to keep natural cork in the game. My main concern is long term storage under polymer. Damn, more reading! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns