• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

House Cleaning - Changes to Topic Boards

Barrel Char Wood Products
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I've been collapsing the number of Topic Boards we have down to a more manageable size before we make the cut over to the new BBS. You'll notice that some boards now have child boards were before they were broken out into their own indiviual discussion boards. While this is great for compartmentalizing discussion threads it's a pain in the ass to manage and transfer so I'm combining like topics into common headers in order to clear some of the clutter and to make the site more navigable.

If you can't find something use the forum search tool. If you don't know what the forum search tool is, it's two menu selections to the right of the HOME button in the menu bar just above the forums.

Cheers,

Oskaar

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
From what im seeing some of the chilled boards dont show up in my unread list. My most recent post in the beekeeping board is a good example! Why is this? Or is there somthing wrong.
:happy10:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Don't know, and honestly I'm not going to burn time on it since we're migrating to a different environment and different forum software.

Cheers,

Oskaar

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
I'd have trouble finding a "chilled" board too. They are just too cool to be found, I guess.

A "child" board, however should be easy to find. Just look under the parent. And I haven't had any problem with unread posts regardless of parent/child relationship. I see them daily when I click on "unread posts". Boom! There they are!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Teljkon,

BTW, your posts will not show up as new or unread since you both wrote and read them. Also note that I was done with the collapsing of boards on the day that I posted 10/05/2007. That's 21 days back. This sounds like user error rather than forum software issues. Do as Wildaho suggested and click one of the selections next to your avatar at the top left of the forums when you've logged in. You have two selections, Show new replies to your posts, or Show unread posts since last visit.

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Very close. We have a migration forum set up and we're simulating the forums cutover in different scenarios. Once we're satisfied that the forum db, files and profiles are transferring to our spec we'll ask for help from the Patrons to login to the test site and try it on for size. Once that's done, we swing the site, then we'll swing the main site to our new template which is going to be friggin awesome.

Cheers,

Oskaar

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
Its possible that its user error but I dont think so. It just seems that when I looked at the chilled boards manually as aposed to using the using the, Show unread posts since last visit, & Show new replies to your posts, buttons new posts that I hadnt seen poped up in almost all of those boards! And I would think that unread posts since las visit would have shown them. Not important though if the problem does not transfer.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
If it were an error with the forums then we'd be inundated with posts. There may be some other one offs, but, this looks largely like it's on your end. We're transferring to different forum software so if it does follow, then we'll consider examining the issue.

Oskaar

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
Its very possible its a technical problem on my end yes, but i doubt it is user error. A good example of this is the mead glass on the got mead main page. It is off set and over laps the text! You may be right that its on my end.
:happy10

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Again, not going to burn time on it dude, especially given that we're migrating soon. Sounds like end user issues.

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
How the site appears to you will depend on your computer, your screen resolution, and your browser. I've also found that about 90% of the issues that occur on this site for people are because they never log out, or don't regularly clear their cookies and browser history.

I optimized the site for 1024x768, running on a Windows XP system, using either Firefox or Explorer 6.x. Since I do all the coding and modifications on my own, I don't have the time or resources from my job to optimize for all browsers and system combinations (hence the note to that effect at the bottom of the main page of the site at http://www.gotmead.com).

Regarding whether or not unread posts appear, over the the last 3 years I've had about 10 people (of the thousands that visit here) tell me that they weren't appearing. All, without exception, had issues on their system, either with undeleted old cookies, setup issues in their browser, or something else on their system.

Since I get nearly 100K visits a month here, if the unread posts function was messing up, I would have hundreds, if not thousands of emails from readers with issues, and I've not gotten any at all. So the odds are that the issue is local on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns