• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Taking samples to measure gravity, How do I exactly?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Ok, Recently I have been measuring gravity of the meads I am making, to be more scientific. At first, I would use just a wine bottle, but in fear of breaking my hydrometer, I decided to buy a long skinny measuring tube.

But, in fear of oxidizing my mead, I have been using my racking cane and tubing to rack into the sampling tube (only mead not must, for the must I just pour it in).

Do I have to be that careful, for it does take me a lot longer to clean the cane and tubing, in order to rack into the sampling container.. Now that I think about it, I just pour it back into the mead when done anyhow, so is it really worth me using racking equipment, to take a sample??
I just want to do it right, so I do not ruin my mead while sampling it during fermentation.

Thanks,

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
bjswift,

First, I would suggest not returning the sample to the mead after sampling. The potential for contamination is a lot higher and the act of pouring can result in unwanted oxidation. I know this means a lot can be lost if the batch is only 1 gallon, but it just is not worth contaminating a batch this way.

Second, the easiest way to take a sample is to use a Wine Thief or a turkey baster. Sanitize and just suck it right out. When you squirt the Mead/Must into the SG tube, make sure not to touch the tube with the tip of the baster as this may transfer contamination when dipping it into the fermenter for a refill. Using a racking cane and tube is complicated for this task and you will find it so much easier using a baster. Get a dedicated one though as the idea of Turkey flavored Mead does not sound too appealing.

Third, I never pour the must to get a sample. Some must could end up around the lip of the jug and could result in unwanted nasties growing such that they could easily fall into the Mead when removing the bung.

Hope this helps,

Angus

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Angus,

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to pick me up somthing to start using for sampling, and will take your consideration for not returning samples. I really do not care if I end up tossing or drinking the samples, because I will probably not take readings too, too often.

I did pour for sampling a couple of times, and never thought about it staying on the lip causing bad, nasties to grow, so thanks for that very helpful hint!

ehanuise

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
If you're not using a carboy, get lazy : clean and sterilize the hydrometer and let it float into the batch ;D
If you're using a carboy, though, I wouldn't recommend it as it'll be a pain when you need to rack, stir the lees, or whatever.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns