• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pumpkin Mead Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

sandig

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
I made a pumpkin mead based on Mac's Bumpkin recipe (in log). I racked it for the second time and it has a rocket fuel taste. SG 1.00. I suspect it is from yeast stress as it was hot this summer. Also, I did not aerate past the 3rd day (newbie mistake)....I am not sure if I should backsweeten now before bulk aging, or wait until after. Also, I put a large glass in the refrigerator just to see what would happen. I backsweetened it with blackberry honey (2 TBS)...it has really cleared and tastes good, no rocket fuel taste....however, no pumpkin or maple flavoring has come out. Is it too late to add to these flavors? Fermentation is done. I was thinking I could add some maple or brown sugar to honey for backsweetening....any thoughts on how this could come out?

Thank you
Sandi

TheBruce

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2007
It's a real pickle - if you backsweeten while you have the rocket fuel taste you will possibly overcompensate. If you wait until the last minute to backsweeten the honey/sugars won't have much time to integrate.

I would let it age a while, see what it needs (if any) after the flavor is more mature, then adjust and let age a while more. It's not the quick way to do it but it's more likely to give you the product you want.

sambashoe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2007
The rocket fuel taste is from the stress, generally called "hot fermentation" in the wine business. It's certainly not too late to add flavoring if you want, and waiting longer probably isn't gonna hurt anything (I have no experience with this recipe so I'm not certain). If you do add flavorings do it in SMALL increments. You can always add more but getting tastes out of mead is pretty tough. Give the mead some time after each addition and then taste to see what you think.

Good Luck

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns