• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The joy of eggs

Barrel Char Wood Products

melchior

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2007
Hello, first time poster and mead maker here.

Tried my very first mead today, on a small scale thankfully - 5L. I added my yeast to my must, could not find proper yeast nutrients so I added about 20 grinded raisins. Shook everything. After capping the brewing vessel I moved it into my computer room which is the warmest part of my house. After about maybe an hour there was already what I think is an eggy smell (though it might just be weird yeast).

Assuming it is hydrogen sulphide what more can I do to try and prevent it, and will it permanently ruin my mead?
This first trial run is a bit of a hash really, using unbranded yeast :p Could too high a temperature cause eggs?

Sorry to take this problem to the forums, I think I saw the information on the site but I'll be damned if I can actually find it now. Don't know if you guys can help without more specific details, but that's all I have really :-\

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
its possibly just a yeasty smell. give it a day. if its still there then try adding apple juice. you shouldnt have problems nutrients wise with the raisins in there though. also you might try shaking it often to oxygenate for a few days. im pretty sure oxygen starvation doesnt create that smell, but it couldnt hurt.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The rotten egg smell is very characteristic of lack of available nitrogen for the yeast. Despite the raisin addition, you may still need more nitrogen in the mix.

Yeast nutrients (such as DAP or Fermaid) are best for managing the nutrient additions, since they are made with known quantities of the substances that yeast need at different times in their life-cycle. However if you can't get them, and you are desperate to minimize the "eggy" smell, then I'd suggest getting some deactivated dried brewer's yeast from a health food store, and after adding about 1/2 tsp of brewers yeast into an ounce or two of very hot (170F) water, leave it tightly covered in a cool place to come down to room temperature. Add that into your mix and stir well.

That should add enough available nitrogen to the yeast in a gallon-sized batch of must to drastically reduce the production of H2S.

Apple juice will also help, but adding enough to rid the must of that rotten egg aroma may leave you with more of a cyser than a mead, and with an apple flavor that you may or may not want.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
IMHO raisins are neither a consistant or dependable substitute for nitrogen supplement in the form of DAP, Fermaid K, Amino Nitrogen and other forms of nitrogen supplements for honey must. Just as honey varies from bee to bee, raisins vary from vineyard to vineyard.

Use a dosage of predictable nitrogen supplement and it's very likely that you won't experience this issue again. There are exceptions, but, when you have the proper amount of FAN and YANC in your must your yeast will appreciate your efforts.

If you don't know what FAN and YANC are, please use the Forum Search Tool (See the Got Mead toys section) and search for those terms using me as the author. The search terms for author tend to be case-sensitive.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns