• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Next Batch Ideas

Barrel Char Wood Products

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
Ok im getting 2 gal of Meadowfoam delivered from Joanes Honey.

I am thinking I want 2 batches.

I have heard that the Meadowfoam has a marshmallow taste so.

Batch 1

Meadowfoam Banana (I love Marshmallows and bananas)
Now i fiugure the recipe would go like this

12 lbs meadofoam honey
3.5 gal spring water (leaves me some head room tn the 5 gal carboy)
Banana (now here is the thing Putting banana directly in to primary or secondary probably would not work) Can i use Banana Flavoring? Not optimal but easyer to control.
10 grams Prise de Mousse Wine Yeast (EC-1118 Champagne)
1tsp nutrient
1tsp enegiser

I would like to to a braggot but am a little afraid of the complexity of the proccess but think if you were to use a Imperial stout base..... MMMMM sounds yummy

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Actually, putting fresh bananas into both primary and secondary will work well! Use some in primary to provide the yeast with much needed potassium, and cut up a few into large chunks to add to secondary; a wonderful fresh banana flavor will result after a couple of weeks on the bananas. I've done this before, and it really works well.

I would suggest a yeast other than 1118, since that will take this bone dry and be very neutral in flavor. I'd instead use something like 71B, which will produce esters that will complement the flavor profiles of both the honey and the bananas.

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
thanks for the advice on the banana and the yeast (my weak subject).

Now as for the Bragot here is my rough draft recipe. (My brothrer in law brews so i am getting help there)

Jesters Crown Imperial Braggot

3.3 lbs dark malt extract
9.9 lbs Meadowfoam Honey
0.5 Lbs Crystal 80L (crushed)
0.25 Lbs Black Patent (crushed)
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley Grain blend
8 0z Northern Brewer hops
2 oz Fuggle hops
Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale 1388

punkideas

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2007
Do you have a hopping schedule foe that? My guess would be something like this:
2 oz NB 60 min
2 oz NB 30 min
1 oz NB 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles 15 min
1 oz NB 5 min
.5 oz Fuggles 5 min
1 oz NB flameout
.5 oz Fuggles flameout
dry hop the rest

Granted, this will come out fairly hoppy, and will need some time to even out. If you want something a bit mellower, cut the NB hops in half.

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
Lurch, when you get the meadowfoam in, let us know how you think it smells and tastes. I got some in from Glory Bee Foods, while I can not say the smell is good, my girlfriend loves the smell. I really like the flavor, which to me does not really match the smell. I also would not use the word marshmellow in describing anything about meadowfoam honey. Not the sweetest honey ever, but thats why I like the flavor.

WayneB has great advise on the banana/yeast thing also. :icon_thumleft:

Liff

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns