• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Apples - Apple Juice.....Mead Calculator??

Barrel Char Wood Products

goodvibes

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2007
Alright....so I can clearly see that the 'additional sugars' portion of the calculator has the measurements of fruit itself and not fruit juice. So, naturally, 5 gallons of apples is not going to have the same sugar content as 5 gallons of apple juice. Lately the easiest way that I have been experimenting and coming up with recipes was simply by putting information in the mead calculator to achieve a desired ABV. Then I cross reference that with different yeast strains based on their alcohol tolerance and specific characteristics that i want to impart........anyway lemme cut to the chase......

If I put together a 6 gallon batch using:

24 pounds of honey
5 gallons of apple juice
Prise de Mousse (EC 1118)

How will the yeast make this batch finish???

I was looking to make it finish between semi-sweet/sweet but I'm not sure about using the calculator on this one. I do add nutrients at the end of the lag phase and at the 1/3 sugar break, so i was counting on the EC to push a little past 18%.
Any info would help....thanks

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Well in my opinion that's a lot of honey. Your SG would be out of the park, probably around 1.20 or so. Without using the calculator, most apple ciders are around 1.050 SG. Add about 14-16 lbs. of honey would put you at about 1.13 or so. That is a good start for just about any mead made. There are sweeter but most start in that vacinity.

EC-1118 is a very aggresive strain for cysers, that strain is usually used to start stuck fermentations. I use kv-1116 but alot of people here like D-47. Cysers will usually go beyond there target ABV. I do not know why but that's usually what happens.

I have been researching cysers for a while now and love all the ones I have made. Is this your first batch?
:cheers:

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Goodvibes,

Two points:

First, the calculator can be adjusted to handle whole fruit or juice based on the type of measurement and sugar content. If you change the measurement to gallons and make sure the % sugar content is correct for the juice you are using, then it will provide the correct gravity addition to the final SG.

Second, this batch will end very sweet, barring any incredible performances from your yeast. SG for this batch, using the calculator, will be 1.176 (24.08 %ABV). EC-1118 has a potential ABV of 18%, leaving about 6 to 8 lbs of honey unfermented. For Sweet/semi-sweet, I would back off the honey by about 6 lbs, resulting in a potential SG of 1.139 (18.91 %ABV). If the yeast does go beyond its expected 18% and you end up dry, you can always backsweeten a little. Or, use the same amounts of honey but change the yeast to an Eau de Vie of Uvaferm with a potential ABV around 21%.

Angus

goodvibes

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2007
Yeah, this will be my first cyser. I was reading in the forums quite a bit lately and I saw that cysers usually push past their projected ABV. I was just taking a shot in the dark with the 24 pounds of honey, which by itself, would put me at 1.147 (about 20%). I'm still a noob so thanks for the input. I'll probably kick the honey down to your recommendation. I have the day off today so I'm going to get this batch rolling.
I was reading Vicki's recipes for Loki and Apple Pie "tonic" in the liquer board, I might whip up one of those as well seeing as how i can drink that sooner.
My second batch of JAO(6gal) didn't even last 2 months. I'm a lush for shee-zee.
Anyway, thanks for the input

Rock on \m/ (*_*) \m/

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns