• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Video of a VERY vigorous mead fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Excellent, Brad! That's the way they're supposed to go!!

It is even more cool to have a fermentation like that taking place in a clear carboy -- then you get to see the action going on in a 3-D column. Now that I've gone over completely to buckets for my primary fermentation, I miss watching that "action."

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Wow that's crazy! I never had any of mine going like that. That would be interesting to see in a glass boey. Good vid Brad. :icon_thumleft:

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Awesome. I can picture a video of this, in a glass carboy. It would look like a mead lava lamp in overdrive. ;D

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Indeed!

There is something about watching a vigorous ferment. It's soooo volcanic. The chunks keep roiling like nothing else... I could (and have) watched this show for hours.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
That was beautiful. Boy I'd love to see that going in a glass carboy--I've had some vigorous ferments (that I've been lucky enough to see in glass) but nothing with so much action as that.

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
That was definitely the strongest fermentation I've ever had. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has something to do with the shape of the fermenter. This was made in a 30 gallon conical. I have more pictures and details on the batch here: http://www.bnektar.com/aam-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11&sid=72ca959e52b2f86f8d866adb719a842f

The mead is now in the barrel and looking and tasting fine.
in_glass.gif

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You should try this recipe without the buffering up front and with D47. As long as you're in the 3.2 - 3.5 pH range with D47 it's been my experience that it ferments out vigorously. Plus, you get the benefit of added roundness and mouthfeel if you give the batch a stir during the last stage of fermentation. Of course, I stir every day or every other day to keep the yeast up in suspension so they have more surface area and easier access to the remaining fermentable sugars until they reach ABV toxicity, or they exhaust the sugar supply.

cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns