• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

D47 and Looooooooooong lag time

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
Here's the recipe (Started 3/1/08 at 2:30pm) This was my first 5 gallon batch. Been making 1 gallon batches for years with no issues.

for 5 gallons
12.5 lbs honey
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp grape tannin
3 grams di-ammonium phosphate
OG 1.100 - just what I wanted

re-hydrated D-47 per package instructions. Yeast purchased in December.
no activity after 24 hours.

Ran to homebrew store for new package of yeast. Re-hydrated per package instructions

Placing a weight on top of fermentor lid displaces fluid in airlock which holds it's level over time so the fermentor is sealed.

Opening fermentor it's obvious there is no activity.

Now what? Is this salvageable?

I have a packet of 71B-1122 and a Red Star Montrachet. Do I try these?

All the Best,
D. White

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
2 quick things for you to check for us:

Current SG reading
Current pH

Thanks!

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
What are temps where you have your fermenter? I just made a batch of a relatively high-gravity (1.133) sweet mead on Saturday and used D-47 - my lag time was about 16 hours with temps in the mid to upper 60's.

- GL63

fun4stuff

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 29, 2008
Dwhite said:
Here's the recipe (Started 3/1/08 at 2:30pm) This was my first 5 gallon batch. Been making 1 gallon batches for years with no issues.

for 5 gallons
12.5 lbs honey
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp grape tannin
3 grams di-ammonium phosphate
OG 1.100 - just what I wanted

re-hydrated D-47 per package instructions. Yeast purchased in December.

Ran to homebrew store for new package of yeast. Re-hydrated per package instructions

Placing a weight on top of fermentor lid displaces fluid in airlock which holds it's level over time so the fermentor is sealed.

Opening fermentor it's obvious there is no activity.

Now what? Is this salvageable?

I have a packet of 71B-1122 and a Red Star Montrachet. Do I try these?

All the Best,
D. White

i had same experience as you using a very similar recipe, including yeast. i didn't think it was fermenting because there were no bubbles in air lock. i checked it 6 days later and it had went from 1.090 to 1.010... 8 days later it was 1.000. So at least give it a week and see if SG has changed.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Check your Sp Gravity, and if it is not dropping,

Check the pH - those acid additions can sometimes stall things, and if that is okay (3.4 or above),
Aerate the must well, and if no improvement,
Pitch another yeast - but I would make a starter and acclimate it to your must in a couple of stages.

I believe there is usually a Date on the D47 package. It wasn't sitting on the store shelf for years was it?
How did you sanitize your fermenter?

I hope your batch gets going.

Medsen

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
As indicated below by several folks the things to look for are:

1. pH - Generally D47 doesn't really take off like a rocket if the pH is below 3.4, it will get going, but it may take two to three days
2. Aeration - Did you aerate the must and continue aerating twice a day?
3. Ambient Temperature - D47 seems to not like cooler must temperatures to start up. Once it gets going though, all bets are off.
4. What kind of sanitizer did you use in your fermenter and in your container that you rehydrated the must?
5. What was the temp of the water you used to rehydrate the yeast?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Cheers,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
DD,

Yes, 12.5 lb of honey gives a potential ABV of around 12.5%, which D-47 can eat through to dry given the right environment. If the goal is to make a dry Mead, then it is fine. If a sweeter result is desired, then backsweetening or halting of the fermentation may be needed.

Angus

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
Well, last night I finally got some activity. I was getting a "burp" every three minutes or so.

This morning I was getting one every 62 seconds. It's about the same now.

Temperature in fermentor location is 70F.

Current SG is 1.096. The PH strips I have only go down to 4.6 and it's apparently lower than that.
The taste is not terribly tart though. I've used 1 tsp of the same acid blend in recipes with similar OG's
made in one gallon batches. I tried to be sparing on the acid blend planning to add more later, if
necessary.

I opened it and stirred it again this afternoon. There's obviously CO2 being produced. I'm less nervous
now and willing to give it more time like it is.

I'm still open to advice.

As for only 12.5 lbs of honey. I wanted it dry. I've got LOTS of sweet mead sitting around.

Yeast was re-hydrated in 104F water per package instructions.

Sterilized fermentor with Iodophor solution. I never sterilize the container I rehydrate yeast in.
I always use a very clean glass for rehydrating.

All the Best,
D. White

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
See if you can get the temperature up to 74 F and aerate the heck out of it. Wrap a blanket around the carboy and let it get going. Aerate about 4x/day for a day or so and if it doesn't kick up I'd suggest that you get some K bicarbonate and a pH meter to make sure you're not down below 3.4 or so.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
I just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. What a great bunch of people.

All the Best,
Dwhite

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
I was away from home and out of town overnight so I couldn't do anything with it.

This evening when I got home it's still bubbling along very slowly. I opened it and
stirred it again. Gravity is 1.092 so it is moving. I have is setting in a warm bath
right now trying to jump start it. I'll wrap it in a blanket overnight to see what
happens.

I have not gotten anything to measure the acidity yet though. This will have to
wait until this weekend.

All the Best,
Doug White

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
After doing some research I found a reference to D-47 needing a LOT
of nutrient during the initial (aerobic) stage of fermentation.

I grabbed my di-ammonium phosphate and dissolved two and a half
teaspoons (about 10 grams) in a cup of water and added it to the
fermentor and stirred it in.

This morning (6am) I had a burp every 20 seconds. It's now (2:30pm) burping
every 10 seconds. I guess it was just hungry?

After pulling it out of the bath last night it was about 75 degrees. I
went ahead and put a light blanket around it to help hold the heat.

All the Best,
D. White

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
This burped along at about 6-7 burps a minute and gradually slowed to 4 burps per minute
by Sunday afternoon. Monday evening I measured the SG at 1.080. I expected it would have
dropped further. I added another 2 teaspoons of di-ammonium phosphate Monday
evening and we're back up to 10 burps a minute. This seems very nutrient intensive.

All the Best,
D. White

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The thing that's killing you here is the acid, not the yeast. D47 is a high nitrogen needs yeast, but that is relative and by comparison to other yeast. Whenever you alter the environment (especially with regards to pH) you compromise the ability of the yeast to take up nitrogen and regulate osmotic pressure.

DAP isn't buying you anything at this point in the fermentation either since the yeast are looking for a different form of nitrogen. It may help your ferment if you add 5 grams of Fermaid K. It has amino nitrogen and several other micronutrients that will be more beneficial than DAP at this point.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Dwhite

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks Oskaar. I'll try to find some fermaid-K.

All the Best,
D. White

skrapiron

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 25, 2008
I'm having a similar lag with the D47 I used in my cyser.

My recipe was:
2 gallons unflitered cider
4 lbs wildflower honey
3 sticks of cinnimon
4 whole cloves
1 pack of D47 dry yeast

I rehydrated the yeast as per package instructions (@ 100*f) and pitched it into 102* must. It is currently stored in my basement with an ambient temp of 70*. Did I pitch the yeast at too high of a temp? Should I have added nutrient supplement to the must or is it too late?

I pitched the yeast at noon yesterday and the water in the air lock hasn't moved once. I'm used to brewing beer and seeing much faster fermentation. Perhaps I am just rushing and panicing over nothing?
:help:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome skrapiron!

I wouldn't get worried yet. Yes, 102F must is too warm but give them a little time. In the meantime, you want to aerate the must really well at least daily for the first few days. In the future, for best results, follow the manufacturer's recommendations for rehydration and use GoFerm. That will get your yeast ready to move.

The cider has a lot of nutrients in it, so I don't think you need to add any at this stage. If by tomorrow it is not going, you may want to repitch the yeast.

Endeavor to persevere!
Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns