• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Wow!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Owl48

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2008
Hello everyone. What a great site. To the owner and moderators: Thanks for all the hard work.

You have yet another "noob" here. I've always wanted to try mead, and finally found a commercial provider (Chaucers). Now I wonder why it took me so long.........

It's going to take quite a while to wind through the site and find out what to do next. Yes, I plan on eventually making mead, but there's a lot of information to disseminate first. I hope to visit more often now that I know about this site.

I've been wondering what I'll be doing when I retire........

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
Hey, Owl! Welcome to GotMead?!! :wave:

You have picked the perfect place to learn! For starters, I strongly urge you to go throught "The NewBee Guide to Making Mead" on the main GotMead? website, lots o' great info there to build a great foundation. :icon_study: Then, if you still have questions, try looking it up on the Forum Search (The brown bar that starts w/ "home, help, search, profile..."; as opposed to the site search) to see if it's been answered, and that'll lead you to so much more info! These people are great! Sharing, supportive, fun! When you decide to go for it, start a threat in the Brewlog so we can all see how it goes. I love watching other peoples' experiences.

Ask questions, don't be afraid! These guys are the most patient and giving I think I've come across.

Mostly, remember, don't over-think it (like I tend to), and if it tastes good, it is good!

Again, welcome to your new obsession!

vanoob

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
Welcome to the obsession owl! I got hooked back in the fall when starting to look into making use of the muscadines and other fruit in my garden then stumbled onto this site. The recommendations and links here had me ordering commercial meads to "get a taste for it" and now I have 18 batches under my belt :drunken_smilie:

This site rocks! Consider becoming a patron so you can get into the really good recipes and discussions (and support the effort taken to keep this site alive).

In the mean time really consider throwing a JAO together. It is cheap, super simple, and comes out really well. Three months from pitch date, my first one was tasting better than anything I've bought (to me anyway, and that is all I care about). On second thought, start 2 because the first one will be gone soon as you bottle it.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
WELCOME to "GotMead?" Owl!! As you've already been told, you can find virtually anything known about the art and science of meadmaking here, as well as a lot of useful information about the spectrum of commercial meads available around the world. After you've read the Newbee's Guide, if you have any more questions, feel free to post them. One of us will be happy to provide you with an answer, and you won't get more authoritative answers anywhere else in cyberspace.

BTW, vanoob, with 18 batches now under your belt, you might have to consider changing your screen name someday, eh? ;D

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
I forgot to mention, and it's already been alluded to,

If you liked that Chaucer's, just wait 'till you get your first taste of a real good mead like you're own! You'll never go back!

:cheers:

Owl48

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2008
I really can't believe how much there is to learn! There are so many twists and turns on this site, it's tough to know where to start. Thanks for the NewBee guide folks, it's very good. The beginner's information at this sites home page are also good, but will take some studying.

I'm in the San Diego area, so there are home brewing stores all over the place. All I have to do is make time to pay a visit, and see what they have to offer for a beginner. I imagine that, depending on one's consumption habits, it's quite possible to spend a great deal of money on equipment, but I think I'll start slowly.

Yes, Chaucer's is interesting. It wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be (although still very sweet), but there was also a slightly bitter after taste (that really isn't that unpleasant).

Thanks again everyone. :icon_study:

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Echoing the others comments I'll add my own welcome Owl. You'll never find another site with so much good information and precompiled research into the making (and drinking) of mead in all of it's different varieties. It's a great hobby and a wonderful obssession to occupy your spare time.

A nice JAO is a great first recipe to try when you get down to it. Just your basic mix and set it aside kind of recipe that never fails to deleiver a pretty darn tasty mead. Once you have that first batch under your belt though you're going to find yourself wanting to set aside some space for future carboys and future batches. I guarantee that one as fact.

The only other thing I'd recommend for now is to pick up a copy of "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm when you get a chance. It's a good read and is also a great quick reference guide to have around.

When you get ready to pitch that first batch, don't hesitate to ask for clarification on any sticking points you come across... after using the search tool of course. ;)
Welcome to the site and welcome to the forums!! :cheers:

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Welcome for me too Owl!

I'll echo what Sandman and everybody has already said but let me tell you how I got into this obsession: Cyser!

Apple Juice, Honey, Yeast. Simple.

Do a search for some of Oskaar's cyser recipes. His are a bit more complex but then this guy is a guru. He always is very detailed in what and why his recipes work.

I think cysers in general are even easier than the JAO. Perhaps not as complex in flavor but still incredibly tasty. Decent ABV in a very short time and very enjoyable in maybe even less time than the JAO.

But then again, there are lots of recipes and techniques here, especially in the patron's section. Read a lot and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no stupid questions! (although I've been known to give a stupid answer on occasion...)

Wade

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns