• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chocolate Mead High Initial SG

Barrel Char Wood Products

colbycurtis

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2008
Thought I would try a chocolate mead here is what I used.
3 pounds 8oz Clover Honey
Half of an 8 oz can of Hershey unsweetened chocolate. (So about 4 oz)
1/4 tsp yeast energizer and yeast nutrient
5 raisins
Spring water
D47 yeast prepared in 100F spring water for 15 minutes
All of this mixed in spring water and topped off to 4 liters.

I shook and shook it before yeast was added at 2 liters full then kept shaking as adding water and yeast until topped off at 4 liters.

Here is what worries me the initial SG is a whopping 1.50 will this ferment? has anyone else had an initial this high? Could it be so high because I poured some into a tube just bigger than the hydrometer and measured it in there?

The must is Dark Dark Brown in glass carboy with airlock. But it all seems to have mixed well with no left over sediment or anything. No bubbling yet and don't expect it to for awhile.

Comments please??

UPDATE: After careful inspection of hydrometer it was 1.150 sorry for the confusion.

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
1.50 Seems way too high for only 3.5 lbs of honey in a 4L must. Are you sure you mixed it thouroughly before measuring? I'm not real sure what effect the chocolate would have on your measurement but I would think not much since it is unsweetened.

colbycurtis

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2008
sorry I'm an idiot! Don't ask :laughing7: The initial was 1.150 so I guess it is still pretty high

colbycurtis

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2008
UPDATE:
I got bubbles :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: All is well with my chocolate mead so far ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns