• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Girls are at it Again

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Just had a chance to check my hives and it looks like the girls are at it again, got a honey flow going on here in eastern Florida. Supered up two hive with shallow supers and checked the other two who are recent splits. All are bring in honey so a early extraction is due soon, maybe next week. Kinda glad cause I am out of last years crop and feel the need to brew a classic "Harvest Mead" from washing the caps and buckets after extracting. Looks like I'll pull two or three shallow supers and maybe a full deep, still have some left on the hives from wintering. Each shallow gives around 1 1/2 gallons and a full deep will give almost 4 gallons of the sweet stuff. I am a 9 frame beekeeper, just don't like rolling and crushing the girls like you can do with 10 frames per super. I'll take some pictures if I don't get toooo sticky.

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
:wav: Yay, bees!

Glad to hear some good news! And (being the heartbleed I am :happy10:) I'm glad to hear you try not to do too much unneccessary damage to the ol' "girls!" Can't wait to see the pics! :D

Once again, I have to say it:

:wav: Yay, bees!

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Took about four hours from pulling the supers to extracting the honey but it was well worth it. Harvested three and 1/2 shallows and a half full deep off the hives which ended up yielding seven gallons of a dark reddish/brown wildflower honey. Been breathing the smell of fresh honey all afternoon as the fragrance rose up out of the extractor. Everybody who brews mead needs to put extracting honey on the "Need To Do" list, I still get a thrill out of it. There is something basic about cutting the caps off a comb and dropping it in the old hand powered extractor. Still need to finish the cleanup and melt the caps for wax but the hard part is done. I'll post the pictures later :D

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Yum! That sounds like a fine harvest!! Wish I had some here!!!

Nevertheless, I agree with you, the smell of fresh honey is certainly something every meadmaker should experience. Of course, then you'll never want to go back to fermenting any of that store-bought stuff again. I'm glad that I have beekeeping friends in the area; I know that's true for me!

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
Personally, I will have to enjoy from a distance.

I am so allergic to bee stings that I carry an epi-pen for just that reason.

I will enjoy it... from indoors... while drinking the finest honey-product I can and salute ya from the window ::grins::

--L

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Launcelot said:
Personally, I will have to enjoy from a distance.

I am so allergic to bee stings that I carry an epi-pen for just that reason.

I will enjoy it... from indoors... while drinking the finest honey-product I can and salute ya from the window ::grins::

--L

Yup, me too! Three dove seasons ago we were hunting out by some hives in a salt cedar grove and took a stinger in the hand. By the time I got the stinger out my hand was swelling up. That Epi-pen saved the day.

Cheers,

Oskaar

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Know what you mean. Most times stings only give me a small hot spot that goes away after a day. I once got nailed over my left eye and looked like I went 5 rounds with Mike Tyson. My eye was swollen shut in two hours. Had a tough time lining up the cork screw all night long. ;D Had a bit of a surprise today, while suiting up I found a big hole in my veil and had to use a backup. I've been wondering how the bees have been getting in the veil last few weeks. I just don't like getting stung, beekeeper or not. :mad:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns