• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Poor man's cyser using unfiltered organic apple juice

Barrel Char Wood Products

Moonshadow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2008
Hi everybody! :wave:

I will be attempting to make the Poor Man's Cyser as my first mead. What I am wondering is how will I know when to rack if the liquid won't clarify? :icon_scratch: Silly question I know, but this will be my first attemp at making any kind of mead. Do I just wait until there is absolutely no activity & assume that is ready. I don't want to screw up or have any explosions! ;D

Any advice for this NewBee would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Moonshadow :cheers:

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Hi Moonshadow and welcome to GotMead!!

If you're talking about using THIS recipe, I'd advise taking the time to pick up a glass gallon jug and doing it right. You can probably find a source for apple juice that already comes in glass (Trader Joe's springs to mind) if you look around a bit. Then pick up either an airlock (cheap), a balloon (cheap), or an inside out condom (cheap but definitely a sight to behold when it fills up with CO2.) :laughing7:

The last thing you want to do during your primary is seal the bottle.

Hope that helps...
:cheers:

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
I have a truly impressive cider, bottled in champagne bottles (good to 4 atmospheres) which are not just carbonated, but excessively lively.

My best recomendation for in-bottle carbonation is to purchase the sugar tablets that are available for it, keeps you from having to do the math that first time out.

(and take it from me, guessing is a bad idea heh)

--L

Moonshadow

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2008
I succeeded! :D It isn't as sweet as I hoped but I have had a couple "hornsful" & no negative side effects!! Once I have bottles available again I will try JOA.

Moonshadow :cheers:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns