• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

DAP storage and clumping

Barrel Char Wood Products

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
My LHBW had a sale on some older DAP (Diammonium Phosphate, it's white and rather shiny). A five pound bag was a little more than 2 dollars. I ended up getting a 1 gallon glass mason jar to put the stuff in. It's mostly in the form of fine powder, with some chunks that obviously got clumped up along the way.

I couldn't find anything in forum searches for this long term. How should you store this long term, under typical conditions? I put it in my glass jar and put in a cool dark place. This wasn't something I found online as far as storage. Is this one of the components that goes bad over time? Nothing I've read seems to imply that it goes bad, and as long as it is kept dry it will last for longer.

Does anyone have a long term advice about this. Will this one batch of DAP solve my DAP supply needs for the very long term future?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The data sheets that I have seen say that under cool, dry storage conditions, the shelf life of DAP is one year. I suspect that it could be kept longer than that under ideal storage conditions, but since it is not an expensive nutrient (when used in typical amounts), why not ensure that the DAP you use is relatively fresh by re-stocking your supply regularly?

Certainly a sale is hard to pass up, but if it is appreciably older than a year, I'd hesitate to use it.

Here's a link to an online data sheet for DAP: http://www.innophos.com/datasheets/Template1.asp?pid=3136

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Would it be really dumb to fill the same jug up with new DAP supply? is there some chance of the new supply getting old just by being in the same supply?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
If your DAP is clumping you can always add a packet of dessicant to the jar to take on any moisture that gets in.

Cheers,

Oskaar

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Oskaar said:
If your DAP is clumping you can always add a packet of dessicant to the jar to take on any moisture that gets in.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Can you buy this somewhere? i mean can I just use a spare packet of dessicant from wherever taped to the lid?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
BTW - Silica gel packets do eventually saturate, and then are no longer effective at removing moisture until they are recharged. Recharging is relatively easy. Just place the packet in an oven set at 300F for 3-4 hours, then carefully take it out and place it in a container that you can tightly seal (such as a glass screw-top canning jar) until it cools back to room temperature. It is then good to go for another dessication cycle.

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Heh, for three bucks? That's awesome :)
[me=UDV]orders.[/me]

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns