• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to use a Floor Corker? (and a Sanitation Question)

Barrel Char Wood Products

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
This is going to sound rather dumb.

I ended up getting my corker today,

http://morebeer.com/view_product/19436/

The one that various people mentioned as being really good.

The limited instructions are in Italian and I don't speak Italian. Does anyone have a good reference or link on how to use this successfully? It seems obvious but any help would probably save me from smashing some corks and bottles by accident. This thing is *heavy*

I have a batch of beer that I can practice on, using

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7323/ and http://morebeer.com/view_product/6632/

It's not directly related to mead, I know...But I want to get to know how to use this thing before I get around to bottling my first mead!

Possibly related...

I also ended up getting http://morebeer.com/view_product/15682/102303

The Sanitizer injector. Again, instructions are in Italian. I have San-San and from what I can guess on this. You fill the bowl up with san-san and then put the bottle in and push down? How long does the bottle have to be pushed down? I've largely washed all of my bottles in the dishwasher and let them dry in the heat of the dishwasher. Will I need to re sanitize again?

Any thoughts on any of the above would be awesome. :)

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
UDV said:
I ended up getting my corker today, http://morebeer.com/view_product/19436/

That's the same one I have UDV and to use it is as follows:

1) Lift the arm / handle up as far as it will go - doing this will open up the bronze collet.

2) Place your bottle on the spring-loaded platform - it is adjustable in height so adjust it so that the bottle fits under the collet and is held there in place by spring tension.

3) Insert a cork in the collet - which will be open at this point so the cork just pops right in.

4) Pull the arm / handle all the way down - doing so will close the bronze collet which will in turn compress the cork, at which point a 'plunger' (which is adjustable for depth) which is attached to the arm / handle will drive the cork into the neck of the bottle.

You may want to wad up a paper towel and run it through the collet a couple times (without a bottle) to wipe away the lube which is on it from the factory.

UDV said:

Again, same one I have. Using it is simple:

1) Fill up the resevoir with the sanitizer solution of your choice (I use One-Step)

2) Take a bottle and, neck down, insert it on the top of the discharge and press down several times. This will inject the sanitizer into the bottle.

3) Take bottle, again neck down, and insert it into a peg on a drying tree (if you have one - if not, you should get one as they are very handy)

I've always washed my bottles with a bottle washer and then sanitize right before I'm going to actually fill them.

- GL63

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
The floor corker isn't very hard to use, but you may need to play with it on an empty bottle a few times to get things adjusted right. There should be a bottle height adjustment, and a depth adjustment on the cork plunger. The one I use is a little different but should operate the same.

The base plate should have enough spring tension to keep the bottle in place while the cork is being inserted. The cork depth depends somewhat on the presentation you want. You may want it flush with the top of the bottle, or set a bit deeper if you were to add a wax seal. These are rugged and easy enough to use. Just start by corking an empty bottle or three to get a feel for it. Try it again with a bottle filled with water. You will notice more resistance with minimal air space, but the end result should be the same.

Good luck and have fun.

David

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
I tried it finally tonight following the instructions using a non-clean Chimay bottle (750ml belgian beer bottle) and a #9 cork. That cork flew right into the bottle without any effort at all. I think the only difference I noted was that if you want that weird half-in and half-out of the bottle cork-effect that belgian beers have you can put a #7 stopper and it stops it about mid way out.

Whoever it was that said 'buy the big corker, it will be the best investment you make' was completely and 100% on the money.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns