• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Newbee saying hello!

Barrel Char Wood Products

metal0130

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted to introduce myself. :wave: I have been home-brewing for about 6 months now and I decided to try my hand at mead. I had started home-brewing with a stout that turned out just fine, but not quite to my taste so I will be dumping it to use the bottles for my mead ;D

I started out with a one gallon "test" batch of JAO in a cleaned out milk carton followed by two other batches in 1gal glass carboys (one blood orange and one blueberry) and it's been one month. I have siphoned the JAO to another jug to get the crud out and took a taste test in the process and I must say, I don't know if I can wait another month or two before drinking the JAO! It tingled my tongue and was quite sweet!

So I guess this is my new hang out! I do a lot of reading here and not so much posting - so I'm always lurking :)

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Welcome to GOT MEAD?

You picked a great space to hang out then.

I cannot belive you are throwing out a stout. What happened? :sad1:

NewBeeOne

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2007
HELLO AND WELCOME ABOARD!!!

This is indeed a great site to read and hang out at. I am setting up a paypal account now so that I can become a Patron due to the wonderful people and wealth of knowledge you will get here. Anywho, hope you love it as much I do!

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ahhhhhhh!

don't throw out a good stout!

give it away!

You'll have plenty of time for you friends to drink them, rinse them, and return them to you before youe mead will be ready!!!!!!

vahan

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
metal0130 said:
Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted to introduce myself. :wave: I have been home-brewing for about 6 months now and I decided to try my hand at mead. I had started home-brewing with a stout that turned out just fine, but not quite to my taste so I will be dumping it to use the bottles for my mead ;D
-----%<-----
Wow! don't waste it. Get some lactose and carefully sweeten it.

If it's a "guiness" like stout, the added lactose make it a great "milk stout". You'd just need to take the bitterness out, and it's heaven :toothy10: :tard:

regards

fatbloke

metal0130

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2008
Thanks guys! I have bought some red stone apricot mead to try out while I wait for my own.

The problem with the stout I think is that I over-sparged the grains. I think... The flavor is a lot more like a porter - it even has an aftertaste like black butte. I don't know enough about the flavors and off tastes yet to really describe it. I'm ok tossing it out because at least I know I did it right (i think), I just don't like it :)

beachfrontmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2008
www.myspace.com
is it really possible to over sparg?i agree with the others this sounds a little abusive to your creations, heck a porter sounds pretty good right now, `but then again it is your beer so you are well within your rights to do what your like with it, though you might try using it for some cooking

metal0130

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2008
oh man, I didn't even think about using it for cooking! I gotta do some research and find some good recipes :)

also I did another taste test on my JAO (I'm kinda expediting this one) and It was drinkable but not by much, it was very very sweet, and had much more body than I had expected. So I am just leaving the other two im making alone for 3 or 4 months and pray :angel10:

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
cooking is a great idea!

try making beer bread, or some nice beer stew.

yum

doctajones

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2006
Boston, MA
Beer Ice Cream!

Porter ice Cream
12 oz (1 1/2 cups) porter or other dark beer (JAF note: Maybe Young's Double Chocolate Stout, even?)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 egg yolks
sugar for sprinkling

1. In medium saucepan, bring beer to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 12-15 minutes or until reduced to about 1/3 cup.
2. In large saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and sugar. Using a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from vanilla bean into the cream mixture. Add the vanilla pods. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, then remove pan from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream. Gradually whisk the yolk mixture back into the saucepan of hot cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Do not let boil. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Sprinkle generously with sugar to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Whisk the beer into the cream. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to churn the ice cream. Transfer to airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

Try it with a molasses brownie and cherry sauce . . . its like whoa :icon_thumright:

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
docta!!!

that is great! I just started making ice-cream recently and your recipe is very similar to the vanilla bean I make.

for a real overload, then make an ice-cream float! (Young's chocolate stout would be perfect as would a nice oatmeal stout, or milk stout).

thanks for the great recipe, I'm going to make it next week!!!!!

cheers,
vahan

doctajones

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2006
Boston, MA
Vahan, let me know how you like it!

I've been making ice cream for a couple years now and I'm always looking for ways to improve recipes.

Also, where it says to refridgerate for 2 hours, if you can stand the wait, let it sit overnight. This will condition the cream mixture and the texture of your ice cream will be much better.

Beach . . .

Go buy a cheap home ice cream maker (I got mine from Target for $20) if you don't have one already and whip some up! You'll be glad you did!

metal0130

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hello again guys!

It's been somewhere just over two months since I started 3 one gallon batches of mead and I have a question. (big surprise huh) Any of the ways, I tasted two of the meads to see how they were coming along, and I must say they were both much sweeter than I had expected. I used 3lbs of honey per gallon. One I tasted was JAO and the other was roughly the same with some blueberry concentrate added for flavor and used a mead yeast (may have been a sweet mead yeast). I am of course planning on aging the mead as long as it takes but will the sweetness ever mellow out or am I going to be stuck with an overly sweet mead forever? It IS drinkable but I would have a tough time even finishing a small glass just because of the sweetness (maybe even some sourness in there). It doesn't taste "bad" really, just not as good as I was hoping (like my beer :confused3: )

what can I do to make it better? Just leave it alone and it will mellow? add fruit to it? any suggestions?

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Two months is WAAAAAAY to early to make any judgements of where your mead will eventually end up. Any meads I make these days bulk-ages for a minimum of 2 years before I either bottle it, or let it bulk-age some more. Meadmaking, more than just about any pastime, hobby, obsession, etc., etc., requires patience .... and LOTS of it !!!

Oh ... and ..... by the way .....WELCOME !!!

- GL63

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, I finally made the beer ice-cream with Sam Smith Oatmeal stout. It came out nice, but I decided to add some cinnamon, but, unfortunately I added too much (about a tablespoon), so that's all you can really taste.

So I have nice cinnamon ice-cream that has color from the beer! Still delicious, but not exactly as indended.

vahan

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns