• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Which is the right Sanitizer for Wine Bottles--help :P

Barrel Char Wood Products

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Hi.

I'm sort of confused about how to use my bottle sanitizer. I have a number of bottles that I sanitized by putting in the dish washer and letting them run a full cycle at 170, and then covering the tops with aluminum foil. However I have about another 20 bottles that are clean but I am unsure how to sanitize them.

I have PBW wash, and San-san and Oxyclean, and both of them have me wash the bottles out after being santized. What is the name or product name of the right Sanitizer that is a one-step that I can rinse them out and then let to dry on a bottle tree so that I can use them again? The directions were completely vague on this. It's really cool washing them out this way, but if I have to rinse them out again, it sort of defeats the purpose if I have to rinse them out again.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
UDV,

Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer. I have not had a single problem using it and it leaves no taste if diluted according to the instructions.

Angus

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
Hey, UDV!

I use Iodophor as well (It's called B-T-F) and I've never had a problem. What I do is fill my bucket with some pretty hot water (I have to be able to handle it) and add some according to the bottle specs (Remember the color it turns out to be when properly mixed). Then, I use my racking cane and hold down clean bottles until they (and the bucket) are completely full. I let them sit the prescribed time, then pull them out, drain, and let them dry. No need to rinse. No problem! Of course, I have no fancy equipment. Heck, I'm lucky to have carboys! :laughing7:

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
So I need to look for Iodophor or B-T-F. I wish this was more obvious sometimes.

I also predict a 100% chance my LBHS will not have it in stock.

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
I don't know, it's pretty common stuff. I haven't been to a LHBS that didn't have it in some way or another.... It's dark stuff (iodine, of course) and the stuff I get is in a semi-opaque bottle, so you can tell.

UprightJoe

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 10, 2007
I also use Idophor. If you don't find it at your LHBS you might find it at your local restaurant supply store - or so I'm told.

What I do is fill my bucket with some pretty hot water (I have to be able to handle it) and add some according to the bottle specs (Remember the color it turns out to be when properly mixed).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that high temperatures reduced the effectiveness of Idophor. I always mix it with lukewarm (roughly 70-90F) water. I think it is rendered ineffective at temperatures over 120F. My memory is foggy though so don't take my word for it - check the bottle.

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
EGADS! You're right! It says right here: "Add B-T-F Iodophor to cool or lukewarm water. Never use hot water." I wonder where I picked that little bad habit up? (maybe because things dry faster when hot?) I will definitely change my terrible ways! Thanks for the heads-up, UprightJoe!

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
The hotter the water, the quicker the gasses are 'heated' off and thus have less time in contact with the equipment. You get a nasty blast of gas. It is not hazardous unless ingested (see manufacturer data sheets), but unpleasant if you get it full in the face.

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns