• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Okay, how bad did I mess up (nutrient addition)?

Barrel Char Wood Products

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
I decided to start the first of a few "experiments" with different types of honey in 1 gallon batches to see how different varieties taste compared to each other.

This first one was a blueberry honey batch. I was using D-47 yeast. The SG was 1.120.

Here is the thing, though. At the end of the lag time, I added the nutrients based on Oskaar's Sweet Oaked Mead (which also used D-47). However, I forgot that I was dealing with just 1 gallon compared to Oskaar's 6 gallon recipe. Oops!

After transferring to the secondary, I decided to do a taste test. There was a weird off-flavor (not a spoilage type of off-flavor). Unfortunately, I am horrible at describing tastes, so I can't be more specific.

Is this likely a result of too much nutrients added and is it possible that it might "age out?"

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Nutrient is what you're tasting. That would be slightly salty, musty, woody, yeasty, mushroomy and almost meaty.

You can always make a 3 gallon batch of untreated mead and mix them to factor out that nutrient flavor.

Cheers,

Oskaar

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Oskaar said:
Nutrient is what you're tasting. That would be slightly salty, musty, woody, yeasty, mushroomy and almost meaty.

You can always make a 3 gallon batch of untreated mead and mix them to factor out that nutrient flavor.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Okay, I got some more honey and figured I'd try to do this, but why did you say 3 gallons? Shouldn't it be 4 gallons (since I made a 1 gallon batch and put in the nutrients for a 5 gallon batch in instead)?

Should I mix them at the end of the lag time (when you'd add the nutrient additions) or just mix them at the beginning? How much would the alcohol from the finished tainted batch affect the fermentation of the rest of it?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns