• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

RFID corks?

Barrel Char Wood Products

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
My question is this

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/magazine/16-05/st_counterfeitwine

If you put an RFID tag in a cork, can you even sanitize this cork, how does long-term aeretion work? Considering that some wines can last 20 or 30 years in a bottle, how can you even deploy something like this without testing say for long term?

I mean it's the premium vintages too as well, seems you'd want an awful lot of taste-testing before going live with something like that.

beachfrontmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2008
www.myspace.com
well if the synthetic corks work as well as they seem to, i don't see a reason that you couldn't implant something in them during the manufacturing process and then sanatise them up to spec

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
There was a thread somewhere about synthetic corks don't allow any o2 transfer in at all, and part of the value of aging was letting some slight o2 into the bottle?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Actually the synthetic corks are believed to allow too much oxygen in, while the screw caps allow none. Here is a presentation of some data (it is marketing material mind you, so the presentation may have a slant) that describes the relative amounts. I don't think the debate has been settled about what is better.

Can it really be that collectors of fine wines cannot taste the difference between the great growths and cheap substitutes? Or a better question may be,"If you can't taste the difference why should it matter?" ;)

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
also, the smallest RFID chips are tiny. They could potentially be inserted after the corking run. Either being glued/pasted under the shrink/foil cap or by actually inserting them with a needle or similar into the cork (only need to be 1 mm or so deep).

regards

fatbloke

nbagshaw

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 7, 2008
How about a synthetic encapsulated chip dropped in at bottling?
That would be no more intrusive or weak than a corked chip.
And without mptying the contents, no hope of easy theft.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
nbagshaw said:
How about a synthetic encapsulated chip dropped in at bottling?
That would be no more intrusive or weak than a corked chip.
And without mptying the contents, no hope of easy theft.
Hum? I doubt that the purists would like that.

As the smallest RFID chips are the size of a piece of "childrens play glitter", you could just as easily loose it in the glue that is used to hold a cap/cover on, or they could be included in the "shrink".

Personally I don't like the idea of business using RFID in any form. It's far too intrusive. I believe that it is a technology that should be controlled by national legislation. If you let any "Tom, Dick or Harry" loose with it, it will mean that you need to run to the courts, every time they abuse any personal data gained from RFID and linkage to other technologies.

regards

fatbloke

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns