• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Greetings from Greefield Massachusetts!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Green River Master

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2008
Greetings and Salutations,

I am proud to introduce the newest mead company in the realm, Green River Ambrosia, located in Greenfield, Massachusetts. There are many things that make our meads singular and unique. We craft our meads in small batches from local *raw* honey. We ferment entirely in glass, without ever heating the honey. We have just released our first batch, an effervescent and refreshing show mead, to select bars and restaurants in th Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts. Check out our website for updates and availability.'

Sam

Owner and Head Brewer
Green River Amrbosia LLC

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Sam,

WELCOME to "Gotmead?"!!

We used to live in South Deerfield, and my wife worked up your way, in one of the nursing homes in the area (she's a nurse). Sorry you weren't up and running back in the late 80's!!

BTW - I'd love to sample your stuff. Are you going to do any online sales?? :toothy10:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Sam,

You ought to send Vicky and I samples of your meads so we can review them and post them up here on Got Mead so people who are not familiar with your meads will be able to read about the flavor profiles and where they may purchase them.

Cheers,

Oskaar

holycontagion

NewBee
Registered Member
May 15, 2008
Welcome to the forums man. I live on the Cape and when I saw "new meadery in Mass." I became excited until I saw how far away your county is hehe. I too have plans to make a few batches from local honeys as I hear very good things about the products coming from around Cape Cod. I wish you luck in your new endeavor sir and please set up some sort of web site where I can order some of your mead =)

One more thing..there are wineries in Falmouth and Chatham, and of course there's Cape Cod Beer. Maybe you could get them to carry some of your stuff to sell for you? Just a thought. Cheers!

JephSullivan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2006
home.comcast.net
Haha, I had the same thought since I live in the Boston area! Greenfield is waaaay out there. :) Let us know what stores in the area will be selling your mead. I have family out in the Springfield area, and I'd be willing to take a modest detour if it meant getting my hands on some local mead.

So, what made you decide to go into professional mead making? I'm sure most of us here have dreamt of starting our own meadery at one time or another.

Oh and since it wasn't in the original post, here's a link to their website:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
:laughing4: I've gotta say that as a resident of the "entire" USA (as in, at one time or another, resident in 8 different states, in every major region of the country), I do still find it amusing that folks from the Boston area still consider Greenfield to be practically in another state -- and they are separated by about the same distance as that between Ventura and Anaheim. (SOCal residents should get a particular kick out of that!)

Of course "long distance" has a different meaning in New England than in other parts of the country. I went to grad school at UMASS, Amherst, with a woman who moved "far away" from her family home for the first time in her life. That home was in Fitchburg - about 50 miles from Amherst - less than the extent of the Denver metro area! ;D

holycontagion

NewBee
Registered Member
May 15, 2008
Haha that sounds about right. Relative distance changes as soon as you leave the Cape and even more so once you get into western Mass. I know quite a few people who think a drive from Hyannis to P-town is "just too far". =)

Also, Mr. Green River Master, do you have any idea when/if your meadery will be selling mead by the bottle instead of cases?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
How about shipping? MA is just too far to go to pick up (I think 2500 miles counts as a "long distance"). :laughing7:

I'd be willing to split a case with some CA folks if the shipping wasn't too bad.

JephSullivan

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2006
home.comcast.net
Yeah, we're spoiled here in New England! Give me two hours, and I can be in any of five surrounding states. (Still wouldn't get to Greenfield in that time though! :tongue3:)

Green River Master

NewBee
Registered Member
May 27, 2008
Thanks for the interest

Hey out there,

Man I'm going to have to check in with the forum more often, I hadn't expected as much of a response to my post. I guess I should have known. I'll share a little about myself and my mead making: I've been making mead for 3 years, I founded Green River Ambrosia a little over a year and a half ago, and we've been making big batches since September. My day job is brewing and bottling as the production manager of Katalyst Kombucha, where I have been for the past two years. My working there was part of the inspiration behind starting the meadery, because much of the skills and equipment are overlapping. We built up from small batches and I currently produce about 700-900 gallons of kombucha per week.

The meadmaking is a bit of a slower process, but it is quite rewarding. We've made over 1200 gallons of mead. We're just releasing our first batch, called Summer Sparkler, locally and only to restaurants or people who arrange a pick up or delivery. There is solid reasoning behind this and it stems from a happy accident that other homebrewers may be able to relate to, over carbonation. We bottled it in 750ml wine bottles and cellared it, but it became sparkling to a greater degree than intended, so we had to put it in the cooler to chill it out. We deliver it cold and it needs to be kept refrigerated, so we can't ship this one, but locals have been slurping it up and I can say with humble pride that it is refreshing and delicious. Our graphics were just finished and we need leigit labels before we can get our other batches out to stores. We just bottled a chamomile metheglin, which we would be able to ship immediately, but we need time to label it. Basically, we're just starting out, but people can check out our website at www.greenriverambrosia.com and email me at sam@greenriverambrosia.com with more questions. If you can make it to greenfield I can sell cases or bottles direct or you can pick up a glass or a bottle at the following restaurants:

The Sierra Grill - Northampton
The Rendezvous - Turner's Falls
The People's Pint - Greenfield
Hope and Olive - Greenfield

The Summer Sparkler will be coming soon to more restaurants and bars in Franklin and Hampshire counties.

Thank you for your interest and your patience, people's satisfaction is a priority, but things worth doing are worth doing right and things take time, like aging mead, sometimes you just have to wait...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns