• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

batch #2

Barrel Char Wood Products

gabreyel69

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2008
This batch was brewed on aug 2oth and left in the bucket fermentor
7lbs of wildflower
7lbs of clover
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tap yeast energizer
1 tbsp of crystalized ginger
lalvin ec 1116 2 packets
sgi=1.20
then sep12
racked into 6 1/2 gallon carboy and topped off with sugar water
very high alcohol taste wit5h a slight sweet finish this one has shown no signs of fermentation through the airlock or any bubbles on the surface i was wondering if any one could help?

gabreyel69

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2008
okay i took another sg= 1.080
the initial was 1.20
I am still seeing no signs of fermentation could I have ruin my mead by topping off with sugar water
should i aerate?
pitch new yeast strain?
I hope someone can help
thanks in advance
a confused beginner

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Hi gabreyel69,

Check the numbers on your hydrometer - did you mean the gravity way 1.120? Most hydrometers don't even go up to 1.200 (and if your must had that high a sugar level it would probably have choked your yeast).

The sugar water won't have ruined things, but it will make it more difficult to track and calculate your progress and alcohol level.

If you started at 1.120, and are now at 1.080, then you have fermented about 1/3 of the sugar, so you do have fermentation. Buckets leak, and stoppers with airlocks in carboys sometimes don't seal well, so watching an airlock is not a reliable way to track progress. The best way is to follow the gravity. If you check it tomorrow and the gravity is dropping, then you are still progressing. Usually there will be some visible bubbling, or foaming, especially if it is stir or swirled. Also, you typically see the must become very cloudy.

If your gravity does not drop, you are stuck and there can be several reasons, but the first thing I would look to check is the pH. Traditional meads are prone to having the pH drop below 3.0 which can slow or stop the yeast. If the pH is low, it should be corrected. If you can't check the pH I would consider adding a couple of grams of potassium bicarbonate to see it that will help. Then I would aerate it, and add yeast hulls (ghosts) about 1 gram per gallon.

I hope that helps.

Medsen

gabreyel69

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2008
thanks i will give that a shot also
the isg was 1.12 i read it incorrectly sorry, once i do that i will see how things progress and let you know
thanks
gabreyel

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns