• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

first extraction soon

Barrel Char Wood Products

paulh

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2007
NYS
I hope to do my first extraction very soon. Got the escape board in place earlier this evening. I had to super with a full deep early in the summer, as I had no honey supers assembled at the time and the first flow caught me by surprise. I hope to get around 70 or 80 pounds, and that's with leaving a full honey super on for winter stores . Not too bad for a package installed in late April.

Moonshae

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 13, 2008
Congrats!

I do a split harvest; I take the early golden honey at the end of July, and then hopefully a dark batch from the goldenrod in September/October.

1BraddogsBBQ

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Chapin, South Carolina
Too bad you cannot make a split and now have 2 hives either by letting them make a queen or buying one. Not sure where your located but it's not too late to do that here in South Carolina.
Congrad's on the harvest! :cheers:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Congratulations. It's good to see Beekeepers with success stories out there.

Cheers,

Oskaar

paulh

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2007
NYS
Sir Bradfields Meadery said:
Too bad you cannot make a split and now have 2 hives either by letting them make a queen or buying one. Not sure where your located but it's not too late to do that here in South Carolina.

Much too late here in the North. Low 40's last night and talk of a (very early) frost soon.

To quote Mother Goose:

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.

If they survive this winter, I'll make a split early next season.

paulh

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2007
NYS
Spun it out today and got 45lbs. A bit less than anticipated, but I don't think that's too bad for my first season and only one hive.

Came out nice and light in color. Both of the older, and much more experienced, guys commented on it's good flavor.

EDIT: the first 20# is going right in the fermermenter ASAP.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns